Memorial to honor 5-year-old Tiffany Miller, murdered in New Kensington 40 years ago |
Valley News Dispatch

Memorial to honor 5-year-old Tiffany Miller, murdered in New Kensington 40 years ago

Brian C. Rittmeyer
Brian C. Rittmeyer | Tribune-Review
Tiffany Miller’s grave at Union Cemetery in Arnold on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019.
Brian C. Rittmeyer | Tribune-Review
The body of 5-year-old Tiffany Miller was found in the Allegheny River in Plum on Sept. 29, 1979, eight days after she disappeared from her home five miles away in New Kensington’s Peach Court on Sept. 21, 1979. Her death was ruled a homicide and remains unsolved.
Brian C. Rittmeyer | Tribune-Review
An angel watches over Tiffany Miller’s grave at Union Cemetery in Arnold.
Brian C. Rittmeyer | Tribune-Review
Work to build the new JFK Park on Fourth Avenue in New Kensington is scheduled to start Monday, Sept. 30, 2019. Efforts are underway to raise $5,000 to pay for a memorial to Tiffany Miller in the children’s playground.
Submitted | Dante Cicconi, City of New Kensington
A rendering of the new play equipment that will be at the relocated JFK Park on Fourth Avenue in New Kensington. Construction of the playground is expected to be finished in mid-November.
Tribune-Review file photo
Police gather at the lock and dam in Harrison on Sept. 29, 1979, as they prepare to recover the body of Tiffany Miller.
Tiffany Miller of New Kensington was killed in 1979 at the age of 5. Her murder remains unsolved. Tiffany Miller of New Kensington was killed in 1979 at the age of 5. Her murder remains unsolved.

It doesn’t take long looking at Tiffany Miller’s well-kept grave at Union Cemetery in Arnold to realize her death was a tragedy.

Tiffany was 5 years old when she died 40 years ago in 1979. She might have said she was almost 6, her birthday coming in December.

While her headstone shows a date of death — Sept. 29, 1979 — that’s only a guess. No one knows when Tiffany died. That’s the date her body was found in the Allegheny River, eight days after she disappeared from her home in New Kensington’s Peach Court.

Tiffany’s death was ruled a homicide, and it remains unsolved.

But the relocation of a playground in Tiffany’s neighborhood has spawned an effort to remember her.

Aaron Moore, a friend of Tiffany’s family, hopes to raise $3,000 to place a buddy bench with a plaque in the new JFK Park about to be built in what’s now a flat patch of grass along Fourth Avenue next to Mt. Calvary Baptist Church.

The park, named for President John F. Kennedy, is being rebuilt after the city sold its former location on 11th Street to UniFirst, which wanted the land for an expansion.

The new playground will have a tot lot bigger than the old one, but it will not include the basketball courts that were at the original location, city Engineer Tony Males said. It will include two sets of play equipment, one for children ages 2 to 5 and another for those ages 5 to 12.

It will cost about $130,000.

“It will be a significant upgrade,” Males said. “The new location is probably more centralized than the old one.”

The basketball courts will be relocated to a park proposed to be built on a city-owned parking lot at the corner of Barnes Street and Eighth Street, Males said.

Construction on the playground is scheduled to start Sept. 30 and will be finished in mid-November, city Councilman Dante Cicconi said.

Tiffany’s name may be incorporated into the name of the park, such as “JFK Park in Remembrance of Tiffany Miller,” Cicconi said.

The city is providing space in the playground for the bench for Tiffany, but the family and their friends have to come up with the money for the memorial.

Moore said he will be pursuing donations, in part through a GoFundMe campaign he plans to launch.

Moore, 48, who now lives in Arnold, was a few years older than Tiffany and lived across the street from her family in Pine Court. She died not long after his eighth birthday.

“I remember when she disappeared and they were looking for her. I remember like it was yesterday,” he said. “I remember my mom coming into my room and telling me they found her body. I remember that well.”

Between raising the money and the time for a bench to be made, Moore said he’d like to have it ready to be dedicated in the spring.

Tiffany’s mother, Gail Rivera, said the memorial at the playground would be the first for her daughter, and she supports it.

Rivera, 61, now lives in Wilkinsburg. She doesn’t mark the anniversary. “It’s just too hard,” she said.

“I always think about her,” she said. “I often wonder what she would be like, who she would look like, how she would grow up.”

Rivera reported Tiffany missing on the morning of Sept. 21, 1979. She last saw Tiffany when she put her to bed at 10 the night before; Tiffany was gone when she went to check on her around 5 a.m. that morning.

A worker at Lock and Dam No. 2 in Plum, five miles from Peach Court, reported a body in the Allegheny River around 10 p.m. Sept. 29, 1979.

Police suspected foul play.

New Kensington police Chief Bob Deringer did not respond to requests to discuss the case.

Rivera said she doesn’t hear anything from police about the investigation, and worries her daughter has been forgotten.

“It’s like they put everything on the back burner about my daughter’s murder,” she said. “I just want the case to be solved.”

Moore said Tiffany is part of New Kensington’s history and deserves to be remembered.

“Unfortunately, she wasn’t able to grow up,” Moore said. “She’s just as much a part of New Kensington as any of us.”

Brian C. Rittmeyer is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Brian at 724-226-4701, [email protected] or via Twitter .

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.