No one injured, Vandergrift duplex damaged in early-morning fire | TribLIVE.com
Valley News Dispatch

No one injured, Vandergrift duplex damaged in early-morning fire

Emily Balser
1300622_web1_web-firetruck3

No one was injured when an early-morning fire damaged a duplex Sunday in Vandergrift.

Vandergrift No. 1 Fire Chief Randy Dunmire said the fire happened just after 3:30 a.m. in the 100 block of Hamilton Avenue.

Dunmire said police quickly arrived on scene because they were patrolling in the area and were able to keep the fire contained by using a garden hose until firefighters could get there.

“It definitely slowed the fire spread down,” Dunmire said. “It could have been up over the roof by the time we got there.”

Dunmire said the owners of the duplex lived on the first floor and had two guests. A couple and their 1-year-old baby lived in the second-floor apartment of the duplex.

Dunmire said the fire started in the first-floor apartment just outside the rear door on the back side of the house.

The cause was determined to be accidental, caused by a cigarette, Dunmire said.

Dumire said it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. There was limited structural damage to the wall where the fire started.

He said because there was no electrical damage, the residents were able to return to their homes after the fire was out and the smoke had cleared.

Emily Balser is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Emily at 724-226-4680, [email protected] or via Twitter .

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.