No one injured, Vandergrift duplex damaged in early-morning fire
No one was injured when an early-morning fire damaged a duplex Sunday in Vandergrift.
Vandergrift No. 1 Fire Chief Randy Dunmire said the fire happened just after 3:30 a.m. in the 100 block of Hamilton Avenue.
Dunmire said police quickly arrived on scene because they were patrolling in the area and were able to keep the fire contained by using a garden hose until firefighters could get there.
“It definitely slowed the fire spread down,” Dunmire said. “It could have been up over the roof by the time we got there.”
Dunmire said the owners of the duplex lived on the first floor and had two guests. A couple and their 1-year-old baby lived in the second-floor apartment of the duplex.
Dunmire said the fire started in the first-floor apartment just outside the rear door on the back side of the house.
The cause was determined to be accidental, caused by a cigarette, Dunmire said.
Dumire said it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. There was limited structural damage to the wall where the fire started.
He said because there was no electrical damage, the residents were able to return to their homes after the fire was out and the smoke had cleared.
Emily Balser is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Emily at 724-226-4680, [email protected] or via Twitter .