Oakmont apartment struck by lightning, no injuries reported
Dave Kalatschoff was shocked when lightning struck his Oakmont apartment on a rainy Tuesday afternoon.
“I saw this big white flash, and it felt like someone shook you really, really hard,” he said standing outside the three-story building near the intersection of Eighth Street and Washington Avenue. “I didn’t get electrocuted, but it definitely didn’t feel good.”
Firefighters from Oakmont, Verona and O’Hara responded to the incident about 2:50 p.m. There are five apartments inside the brick house.
Kalatschoff said he was working on the top floor with a client when the power went out and he started to smell smoke.
“The whole roof of the storage closet was blown out,” he said. “There was a lot of smoke coming from there and I called 911. … I’m still shaken up from it. My adrenaline’s still running. I have my work desk up against this wall, and right on the other side of the wall is where it hit. It’s definitely scary.”
Oakmont fire Chief Dave Carroll said the home did not catch fire and no injuries were reported. A ladder truck was used to gain access to the roof.
“There was no residual smoke or fire up there,” Carroll said. “The lightning came through and back out. It blew out a corner of the ceiling. We’re waiting for the electrician now to make sure the electrical’s OK. We’ve killed all the power to the building.”
Carroll said residents were eventually able to go back into the house, and the property owner would address any repairs. Washington Avenue between Eighth and Seventh streets was closed while emergency crews responded.
Michael DiVittorio is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Michael at 412-871-2367, [email protected]om or via Twitter .