New Kensington man whose mother was found dead in duct-taped room faces 62 charges |
Valley News Dispatch

New Kensington man whose mother was found dead in duct-taped room faces 62 charges

Chuck Biedka
Chuck Biedka | Tribune-Review Chuck Biedka | Tribune-Review
Police said Marcia Smock’s badly decomposed body was discovered in this Victoria Avenue house on Aug. 8, 2019.
Chuck Biedka | Tribune-Review Chuck Biedka | Tribune-Review
Marcia Smock’s badly decomposed body was discovered in the rear apartment of this Victoria Avenue house on Aug. 8, 2019.
Courtesy of RJ Slater IV Funeral Home
Marcia Smock of New Kensington was found dead in her Victoria Avenue home on Aug. 8, 2019.
Chuck Biedka | Tribune-Review
Robert Hawk is escorted to a holding cell in New Kensington by Patrolman Christian Baker on Friday, Oct. 11, 2019.
This is one of 19 cats and kittens that were rescued from a New Kensington house after Marcia Smock’s body was discovered there on Aug. 8, 2019.

A New Kensington man faces 62 criminal charges in connection with an August incident in which authorities found his mother dead in her Victoria Avenue house with the vents and door of her room duct-taped shut, court records show.

Most of the charges filed against Robert Aaron Hawk, 48, are related to the alleged mistreatment of animals, including two felony counts of aggravated cruelty of animals and 57 counts of animal neglect.

Hawk, who said he had been the primary caretaker of his 69-year-old mother, Marcia Smock, also faces two felony theft charges and a misdemeanor count of abuse of a corpse.

A criminal complaint filed in the case said Hawk allowed Smock’s body to “decompose over the course of approximately two months.”

Westmoreland County Coroner Ken Bacha said Friday he hasn’t ruled on the cause and manner of death because the case is classified as an open investigation.

Hawk was arraigned Friday morning before District Judge Frank J. Pallone Jr. in New Kensington.

Hawk, who uses a cane to walk, testified during the hearing that he is a disabled paramedic who formerly worked in Pittsburgh. The father of three grown children said he lives on New Kensington’s Earl Street and isn’t working.

Hawk was released Friday after posting a percentage of the $15,000 bond set by Pallone. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Oct. 23. Hawk said he likely will seek legal representation from a public defender.

At least 19 cats were removed from the house at 1234½ Victoria Ave. after authorities found Smock’s body there Aug. 8.

According to the criminal complaint, Hawk said he found his mother lying on a floor one morning and knew because of his previous EMT training that she was “beyond resuscitation.”

Hawk told investigators he thought she died in early June, about two months before her discovery by authorities following a wellness check request to police by an Area Agency on Aging employee, the complaint said.

Hawk told police he didn’t report her death because he was “in disbelief.” He said he only checked on her once between the time she died and when police entered the house, according to the complaint.

Police said Hawk put the duct tape around the door and vents of the room where his mother’s remains were found.

Police and animal rescue staff said Friday they had to wear respirators because of the foul odor of garbage, the 19 malnourished and neglected cats and the bodies of Smock and a dog and a cat found inside. Two of the surviving cats had to have all of their teeth removed, the complaint said.

Hawk kept three months of Smock’s Social Security checks totaling almost $6,000 after her death, according to the complaint. Police said he told investigators he used the money to pay bills.

Detective Sgt. Matt Saxman said he worked with federal officials, who agreed the theft charges should be filed in county court. Saxman consulted with Frankie’s Friends staff to determine that animal neglect charges were appropriate to file.

Chuck Biedka is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Chuck at 724-226-4711, [email protected] or via Twitter .

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.