Jury convicts man of sexually assaulting Arnold teen
A Bedford County man was convicted Friday of sexually assaulting an Arnold teenager last year.
Jurors in Westmoreland County returned guilty verdicts to three sex-related crimes against Amos J. Taylor, 34, after deliberating four hours over two days. Jurors deliberated for three hours Thursday and an additional hour Friday.
Taylor was found not guilty of the two most serious charges: rape and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse.
A 17-year-old Arnold girl testified Thursday that Taylor briefly moved into her family's home and on three occasions he initiated sexual contact.
Jurors rejected the girl's claim that Taylor forcibly raped her in an attic bedroom but returned guilty verdicts to one felony count of sexual assault as well as two convictions to lesser charges of indecent assault and corruption of a minor.
Taylor, who had been free on $25,000 cash bail before the trial, was handcuffed and taken to Westmoreland County Prison, where he will await sentencing.
Common Pleas Court Judge Rita Hathaway said Taylor faces at least three years in prison when he is sentenced in about three months.
Assistant District Attorney Rebecca Calisti said Taylor could receive up to 20 years in prison.
“I am very happy with the verdict. He is going to have to register as a sex offense for life,” Calisti said. “It's good closure for the victim that she gets justice for his acts.”
The teen, who was 16 at the time of the assaults, testified that Taylor first attempted sexual contact with her while they sat together on a sofa watching movies. The teen's older sister was asleep on a nearby chair, she said.
Taylor also barged in on her while she was in the shower, the teen claimed.
Taylor denied having any sexual contact with the teen.
Defense attorney John Sweeney said Friday that Taylor will appeal the conviction.
Rich Cholodofsky is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at 724-830-6293 or firstname.lastname@example.org.