Smoke alarm wakes Fawn family to bathroom fire
A smoke alarm alerted a sleeping Fawn family to a fire in their home's bathroom early Thursday morning.
Chase Slepak, assistant chief of Fawn's No. 2 fire department, said an electric space heater is believed to have caused the fire at 228 Green Parrot Lane. It was reported around 6:15 a.m.
Although the space heater in the first floor bathroom of the two-story house was believed to have been the cause, Slepak could not say what happened with it that ignited the fire.
Slepak said Eureka medics arrived at the scene before firefighters. A medic made knocked the fire down with an extinguisher and closed the bathroom door.
Although that didn't put the fire out, Slepak said it slowed its growth.
In addition to Fawn No. 2, firefighters from Eureka and Harrison Hills responded, and had the fire under control in about 20 minutes.
There was minor water damage to the basement, and minor smoke damage, Slepak said.
Slepak could not identify the homeowner or say how many were inside at the time of the fire. Everyone got out unhurt, and no firefighters were injured.
An estimate of the damage was not available.