ShareThis Page
Valley News Dispatch

Smoke alarm wakes Fawn family to bathroom fire

Brian C. Rittmeyer
| Thursday, Oct. 12, 2017, 6:42 a.m.

A smoke alarm alerted a sleeping Fawn family to a fire in their home's bathroom early Thursday morning.

Chase Slepak, assistant chief of Fawn's No. 2 fire department, said an electric space heater is believed to have caused the fire at 228 Green Parrot Lane. It was reported around 6:15 a.m.

Although the space heater in the first floor bathroom of the two-story house was believed to have been the cause, Slepak could not say what happened with it that ignited the fire.

Slepak said Eureka medics arrived at the scene before firefighters. A medic made knocked the fire down with an extinguisher and closed the bathroom door.

Although that didn't put the fire out, Slepak said it slowed its growth.

In addition to Fawn No. 2, firefighters from Eureka and Harrison Hills responded, and had the fire under control in about 20 minutes.

There was minor water damage to the basement, and minor smoke damage, Slepak said.

Slepak could not identify the homeowner or say how many were inside at the time of the fire. Everyone got out unhurt, and no firefighters were injured.

An estimate of the damage was not available.

Brian C. Rittmeyer is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at 724-226-4701, brittmeyer@tribweb.com or on Twitter @BCRittmeyer.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me