Fireworks likely set house on fire in Arnold
No one was injured in a blaze likely ignited by fireworks hitting the roof of an abandoned home at 1431 Third Ave. in Arnold early Wednesday.
The fire was discovered about 4 a.m. by Arnold police who searched for the origin of an odor of something burning. They found flames shooting out of the roof of one of the homes, according to Chris O'Leath, chief of Arnold No. 2 Volunteer Fire Company.
The blaze started on the roof of 1431 Third Ave. and spread to another abandoned home nearby at 1433 Third Ave., he said.
A state police fire marshal ruled the fire accidental and likely caused by an errant firework that landed on the roof of 1431 Third Ave., according to O'Leath.
"The fire burned from the roof down into the rest of the home," he said. "We did not find real evidence of the fireworks at the home, but we did find spent fireworks in the street and alley near the homes."
The fire was "stubborn," O'Leath said, and took firefighters at least 11⁄2 hours to get under control.
The first house was destroyed, but damage was contained at the second house, he added.
Arnold firefighters battled two blazes practically back-to-back Tuesday night into Wednesday.
They assisted with an apartment fire in Freeport about 10 p.m. Tuesday. After returning to their stations and with the fire trucks and equipment put away, they were called to the Third Avenue house fires.
"They are pretty well-spent out at fires for 11 hours and awake for well over 24 hours," O'Leath said.
"They all did a fantastic job," he added.
Mary Ann Thomas is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach her at 724-226-4691, firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @MaThomas_Trib.