Westmoreland Happenings: Week of Jan. 14
• A still life painting workshop with Doreen Currie is planned 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 26 in Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art at Ligonier Valley, One Boucher Lane and Route 711 South. Cost: $30, attendees are required to bring their own materials. Reservations required by Jan. 23 at 724-238-6015 or email@example.com.
• Book club is planned with “Night Circus,” by Erin Morgenstern at 6 p.m. Monday in Youngwood Area Public Library, 17 S. Sixth St. Details: 724-925-9350.
• Greensburg Hempfield Area Library, 237 S. Pennsylvania Ave.:
— 6-7:30 p.m., Thursday , Oooey-Gooey, Gross and Goopy! for ages 6-10.
— 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, Read to Kaya and Friends (therapy dog program) for ages 3 and older.
— 2-3 p.m. Saturday , LEGO club for ages 6-9.
• Smart phones and tablets class is planned 1-3 p.m. Jan. 22 in Mt. Pleasant Public Library, 120 S. Church St. Cost: $5. Registration is required at 724-547-3850.
• Latrobe Area Historical Society is hosting their annual reorganization meeting 9:30 a.m. Saturday at 416 Weldon St. .New memberships will be taken at $15 per individual for the year. Following the meeting, Lisa Hayes, Executive Director of the Westmoreland County Historical Society, will present a program on the new educational center at Historic Hanna’s Town.
• Art exhibit, “As I See It” member exhibition is planned Jan. 26-March 1 in Greensburg Art Center/Rowe Gallery, 230 Todd School Road, Hempfield. Opening reception is planned 2-4 p.m. Jan. 26. Details: 724-837-6791 or greensburgartcenter.org.
• Westmoreland County Right to Education Local Task Force is holding a meeting 10 a.m. Tuesday in Westmoreland Intermediate Unit, 102 Equity Drive, Greensburg. Topic: Alternative Standardized Testing and ESY. Details: 724-836-2460, ext. 2246.
• Notre Dame Club of Greensburg/Uniontown will visit Congregation Emanu-El, 222 N. Main St., Greensburg Friday beginning with a 7 p.m. Sabbath service, followed by a conversation with Rabbi Staci Pedersohn. Reservations by Thursday at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The annual bus trip to the March for Life in Washington D.C. is planned Friday . The bus will leave St. Agnes Catholic Church parking lot, 11400 St. Agnes Lane, North Huntingdon at 6 a.m. and return to the church 10 p.m. Cost: $25 and $15 for students and includes a hoagie bag lunch. Riders will cover the cost of their own dinner on the way home. To register: 724-863-2626.
• All-you-can-eat pancake breakfast is planned 8-10:30 a.m., Saturday at Bradenville United Methodist Church, Route 982. Menu includes sausage, applesauce and beverage. Cost: $5.
• The Lighthouse, Morning Star Ministries Africa mission team is hosting a yard/bake/soup sale 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday in the gym, Route 240 Highway, Cherry Tree. Details: 814-948-5765 or 724-910-9680.
• The Greensburg-Jeannette NAACP will host a celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at 7 p.m. Jan. 21 in Bethel A.M.E. Church, 33 N. Spring Ave., Greensburg; guest speaker will be Pastor Frank Brown.
• A cash bash is planned 6-10 p.m. Jan. 26 in St. John’s social hall, 416 S. Broadway St., Scottdale. Cost: $20 includes food and beverages. Details: 724-887-6714 or 724-887-3718.
Submissions from nonprofit or not-for-profit organizations for Briefly Speaking and Club News can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 724-838-5171 or mailed to 622 Cabin Hill Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601-1657. Submissions are due at least two weeks prior to the event. Each announcement is printed once; there is no fee. Information: 724-836-4970.