Greensburg banquet honors firefighters
The Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department on Saturday paid tribute to three recently deceased firefighters at its 112th annual Firemen’s Memorial Service.
The service honors firefighters who have died in the last year:
• Joseph T. Suarez, 70, served with Greensburg Hose Company No. 6 for 45 years, until his death in September.
• Gary Vincent Bell, 63, was a firefighter for about 46 years, serving with Greensburg Hose Company No. 6, Hempfield Volunteer Fire Department #2 and Greensburg Hose Company No. 7. He died in March.
• Raymond D. Shaffer, 90, was a firefighter with Greensburg Hose Co. No. 8 for 66 years, until his death in August.
The memorial service was part of the department’s annual banquet, attended by more than 100 people including firefighters, their families and local officials.
The event also honored three firefighters who have been with the department for 25 years, earning lifetime membership status: Timothy Wian, Galen Ross and David Romagnoli.
The following awards were presented during the banquet:
• Company 1 Firefighter of the Year: Christian Koury
• Company 2 Firefighter of the Year: Jeff Heater
• Company 3 Firefighter of the Year: Andrew Strezo
• Company 6 Firefighter of the Year: Rob Giles
• Company 7 Firefighter of the Year: Dan Fencil
• Company 8 Firefighter of the Year: Roman Lamberski
• Junior Firefighter of the Year: Zachery Long
• Humanitarian of the Year: Glenn Thomas
Jacob Tierney is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jacob at 724-836-6646, [email protected] or via Twitter .