No injuries in North Huntingdon house fire
No one was hurt in a house fire on Wilshire Drive in North Huntingdon on Saturday night, but the homeowner said the damage is extensive, WPXI reports.
Dispatchers told WPXI that the fire started around 8:15 p.m.
The homeowner, Carol Petrosky, said that she had noticed that the wood burner was malfunctioning earlier in the day and shut it off.
“We had dinner and was playing with the grandkids, and I still smelled some smoke,” Petrosky told WPXI.
She felt the living room wall and it was very hot, so Petrosky got everyone out of the house and called for help.
The home’s attic was destroyed and part of the roof collapsed, Fairmont-Hahntown Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Daryl Scherff confirmed Sunday. There was also damage to the living room.
The fire started in the home’s chimney, he said.
He advised other homeowners to make sure chimneys are kept clean and to have them inspected regularly.
Jamie Martines is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jamie at 724-850-2867, email@example.com or via Twitter .