ShareThis Page
No injuries in North Huntingdon house fire | TribLIVE.com
Westmoreland

No injuries in North Huntingdon house fire

Jamie Martines
| Sunday, February 17, 2019 8:45 a.m
763039_web1_gtr-nohuntfire-021819
WPXI
A house fire on Wilshire Drive North Huntingdon destroyed the home’s attic and living room Saturday, Feb. 16, but no one was hurt.

No one was hurt in a house fire on Wilshire Drive in North Huntingdon on Saturday night, but the homeowner said the damage is extensive, WPXI reports.

Dispatchers told WPXI that the fire started around 8:15 p.m.

The homeowner, Carol Petrosky, said that she had noticed that the wood burner was malfunctioning earlier in the day and shut it off.

“We had dinner and was playing with the grandkids, and I still smelled some smoke,” Petrosky told WPXI.

She felt the living room wall and it was very hot, so Petrosky got everyone out of the house and called for help.

The home’s attic was destroyed and part of the roof collapsed, Fairmont-Hahntown Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Daryl Scherff confirmed Sunday. There was also damage to the living room.

The fire started in the home’s chimney, he said.

He advised other homeowners to make sure chimneys are kept clean and to have them inspected regularly.

Jamie Martines is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jamie at 724-850-2867, jmartines@tribweb.com or via Twitter .

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.