Westmoreland happenings: Feb. 20 and beyond
• A Mardi Gras party is planned 6-10 p.m March 2 in Level Green Fire Hall, Route 130, Penn Township. There will be dinner, dancing, games, bead and tarot card contests and cash bar. Cost: $30 includes food and beer. Must be 21. Proceeds benefit community projects and charities supported by the Community Women’s Club of Level Green. Details: levelgreenwomensclub.org.
• The Friends of the Norwin Public Library will hold a $5-a-bag book sale 10 a.m.-7 p.m. today and Feb. 27 in the basement of the library on Caruthers Lane, Irwin. Details: 724-863-4700.
• Havana Nights spring gala hosted by Westmoreland County Blind Association is planned 6 p.m. March 1 in Greensburg Country Club, 309 Pleasant Valley Road. Cost: $50, includes Cuban dinner buffet and rum bar along with a cigar lounge hosted by Nelson Loguasto’s Cigars. Entertainment provided by disc jockey Tammy Petty. Guests will also have a chance to win a cruise for two to Cuba. Details: 724-837-1250.
• Latrobe Art Center will host Taste of the Neighborhood 5:30-8 p.m. March 1 in the center, 819 Ligonier St. The event will feature pizza and appetizers from a variety of area restaurants, beverages from area breweries and wineries and entertainment. Cost: $25. Details: 724-537-7011 or latrobeartcenter.org.
• Westmoreland Diversity Coalition is hosting a “Westmoreland Has Talent” karaoke fundraiser at 5 p.m. March 2 at Ferrante’s Lakeview, 6153 Route 30, Hempfield. In addition to the entertainment, the evening will include dinner and dancing. Proceeds will support the coalition’s operations and educational programming that addresses appreciation and understanding of difference, inclusion and diversity. Cost: $60; cash bar will be available. Details: 724-834-1260, ext. 109, or wdcoalition.org.
• “Picture This at the Library” with an exhibit by Tami Krusper and Mary Yeager, a joint venture between the Greensburg Art Center and the Greensburg-Hempfield Library, 237 S. Pennsylvania Ave., will be featured through April 4, with a reception 6-8 p.m. Friday. Details: 412-558-0810.
• Saint Vincent College will host a nursing night 4:30-7 p.m. Feb. 27 in the lobby of the Sis and Herman Dupré Science Pavilion, 300 Fraser Purchase Road, Unity. The event will include light refreshments and a meet-and-greet with SVC admission counselors. Details: 724-805-2485 or [email protected]
• YWCA Westmoreland County’s Technology Center, 424 N. Main St., Greensburg, plans these March-April classes: Microsoft Word 2019 – beginners, Google Calendar, Gmail and Contacts, Windows 10, Smartphones/Tablets, Microsoft Excel 2019 -intermediate, Computer Basics, Technology Q&A. Details: 724-834-9390.
• Black History Month Celebration is planned at 3 p.m. Saturday in Greater Parkview Church, 103 Westminster Ave., Greensburg, in partnership with the Greensburg-Jeannette NAACP. A soul food dinner will be served following the program. Cost: $5. Details: 724-757-4069.
• Greensburg-Jeannette NAACP Prayer Breakfast is planned 9 a.m. March 2 in Christ Our Shepherd Center, 2900 Seminary Drive, Unity. Speaker: Alycia Goodson, God’s Re-Creation Christian Center from McKeesport. Tickets: $20, or $10 for children 10 and younger. No tickets sold at the door. Reservations by Feb. 22 at 724-691-2925 .
Submissions from nonprofit or not-for-profit organizations for Briefly Speaking and Club News can be emailed to [email protected], faxed to 724-838-5171 or mailed to 622 Cabin Hill Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601-1657. Submissions are due at least two weeks prior to the event. Each announcement is printed once; there is no fee. Information: 724-836-4970.
Shirley Taft is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-4970 or [email protected].