Wider runway at Arnold Palmer airport depends on FAA funding | TribLIVE.com
Westmoreland

Wider runway at Arnold Palmer airport depends on FAA funding

Jeff Himler
1654254_web1_gtr-palmerpassengers005-032119
Dan Speicher | Tribune-Review
Passengers wait to embark on their flight to Fort Myers at the Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Unity on Wednesday, March 20, 2019.

The Westmoreland County Airport Authority has a contractor in place to widen the runway at Arnold Palmer Regional Airport, but work on the project can’t proceed until federal funding is approved.

The authority Tuesday awarded an $11.9 million contract for the widening project to Golden Triangle Construction, contingent on the Federal Aviation Administration agreeing to fund 95% of the cost. The authority would pay for the remaining 5%.

“We’re hoping to hear before the end of the month,” authority engineer Scott Kunselman said of the funding.

While the start of work will depend on that funding approval, the project is expected to stretch into 2020 at the Unity airport.

Airport officials plan to expand the runway width from 100 feet to 150 feet, adding a 25-foot strip on each edge.

The enlarged runway will provide pilots a wider target when they land in poor weather conditions, officials have said. New 20-foot shoulders are meant to make it easier to remove snow from behind runway lights.

Executive Director Gabe Monzo said the authority has worked out a proposed schedule for the project construction with Spirit Airlines, the sole commercial carrier that offers regular service at the airport.

“We’re going to stay out of Spirit’s way as long as we can with night work,” Monzo said. “It enhances the way we do the project, so everybody is happy.”

Kunselman explained nighttime closures will allow the contractor to widen the northwest edge of the runway, which is the side farthest from the terminal building. That work is projected to continue through August of next year.

Then, in September 2020, he said, a complete shutdown of the runway for 16 days is planned to allow crews to widen the opposite edge of the runway and install new navigation lights.

“When we reopen at the end of September 2020, we will be operating at 150 feet,” Kunselman said.

A related project, proposed for 2021, would strengthen the entire runway by adding a three-inch layer of asphalt, Kunselman said. Also, short taxiways that connect the runway to a parallel taxiway would be relocated.

The airport authority accepted a $115,403 grant from the FAA and awarded it to Richardson Tree and Landscaping for removing vegetation obstructing the runway approach at Rostraver Airport. The work will be completed between November and March, to avoid impacting bats.

Jeff Himler is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jeff at 724-836-6622, [email protected] or via Twitter .

Categories: Local | Westmoreland
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.