Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra has strong ties to Carnegie area
The Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra began in 1958 when amateur musicians formed an ensemble known as the Bethel Park Orchestra.
Eventually, it moved to Carnegie and performed at the music hall on Broadway Avenue under its new name, the Carnegie Civic Symphony.
In 1983, the name became the Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra to better reflect the group's membership and community involvement. Currently, it rehearses every Tuesday evening at Our Lady of Grace Parish's Conroy Hall in Scott.
It has more than 80 volunteer musicians from the region who are dedicated to providing quality music at a reasonable cost.
They are under the baton of Warren Davidson, strings teacher at Slippery Rock University and conductor of its symphony orchestra. He has his master's degree in music from Duquesne University and his doctorate in musical arts from West Virginia University.
The orchestra performs five concerts yearly at the Upper St. Clair High School Theater. Occasionally, it adds community outreach concerts in other South Hills locations.
This year's culminating performance is set for May 16 with a program titled “Downton Abbey,” featuring guest artists Colleen Gray, soprano, and Jennifer Sternick, violin.
The orchestra is always looking for volunteer help with ticket sales, refreshments and publicity, or to serve on its board of directors. Interested volunteer musicians are welcome, as well, to perform with the group.
For tickets or more information, visit www.pittsburghcivicorchestra.net or call 412-279-4030.
Charlotte Smith is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media and can be reached at 724-693-9441 or email@example.com.