Health Happenings for week of Sept. 17-23
• American Red Cross will host these blood drives:
— 2-6:30 p.m. today , Blairsville Community Center, 101 E North Ave.
— Noon-5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Christ United Methodist Church, 201 Market St., Scottdale
— 12:30-5 p.m. Thursday, Ascension Church, 621 Division St., Jeannette
— 12:30-6 p.m. Friday, Norwin Christian Church, 9610 Barnes Lake Road, Irwin
Appointments: 800-733-2767 or red crossblood.org; walk-ins welcome
• Vitalant, formerly Central Blood Bank, will host these blood drives Thursday:
— 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Mt. Pleasant Area High School, 265 State St., Mt. Pleasant Township
— 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Seton Hill University McKenna Center, Seton Hill Drive, Greensburg
Appointments: 877-258-4825 or vitalant.org
• Breastfeeding Success, a weekender version is planned 9-11:30 a.m. Saturday at Excela Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg. Details: 877-771-1234
• Penn State Extension will hold a Food Safety Training Course 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 25 and 9 a.m.-noon Oct. 2 with the certification examination at 1 p.m. in Westmoreland County Extension office, 204 Donohoe Road, Greensburg. Cost: $185 and covers the cost of the ServSafe course book and instructional materials. Details: 724-837-1402. Registration is required at: 877-345-0691 or extension.psu.edu/food-safety/events
• Medicare 101 is planned 6-7:30 p.m. Sept. 25 in YWCA, 424 N Main St., Greensburg. The Medicare 101 workshop helps to answer the frequently asked questions, such as: What does Medicare cover? Do I need another coverage? The workshop’s purpose is to answer those questions and more. Cost: $20 or $10 for members. Registration required at 724-834-9390.
• Flu shot clinic is planned 8-10 a.m. Monday in North Huntingdon Township Townhouse, 11279 Center Highway. There is a charge for the flu shot unless it is covered by insurance. If you are on Medicare or Security Blue, the charge will be absorbed upon the presentation of the card. You must be a Westmoreland County resident and show some type of identification. Registration is required at 724-863-3806.
• West Newton Center for Active Adults, 103 E Main St., will partner with Kathy from Hometown Pharmacy and offer flu vaccinations: 11 a.m.-noon Sept. 27 and 10 a.m.-noon Oct. 18. Registration is not required. Most vaccinations are covered by insurance at little to no cost. If interested in receiving a flu shot, bring one form of picture ID and all forms of medical insurance. Details: 724-872-4976
• An open support group, a unique and informal opportunity for self help, sharing and caring by and for people with mental health concerns, is held 7- 9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month at Mental Health America of Southwestern PA, 409 Coulter Ave., Suite 4, Greensburg. Details: 724-834-6351, ext. 118
• Bariatric education and support, 6 p.m. Sept. 25 in Excela Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg. Details: 877-771-1234
Shirley Taft is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-4970 or [email protected].