Health Happenings: Week of Nov. 4
• American Red Cross will host these blood drives:
— Noon-5 p.m. today , St. Michael’s of the Valley, Route 381, Rector
— Noon-6:30 p.m. Monday, 6:30 p.m., Charter Oak Church, 449 Frye Farm Road, Unity
— 2 p.m-6:30 p.m. Monday , Laurel Valley Elementary School, 137 Education Lane, New Florence
— 1-6 p.m., Monday, Vandergrift Masonic Lodge # 617, 113 Washington Ave.
Appointments: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org; walk-ins welcome
• WCCC is partnering with APPRISE, the Pennsylvania Health Insurance Assistance Program, to sponsor a free Medicare presentation about the basics of the system. Sessions planned:
— 1-4 p.m. Nov. 12, Westmoreland County Community College, Commissioners Hall, 145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood
— 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Nov. 14, Norwin Library, 100 Caruthers Lane, North Huntingdon
Registration is required at 724-925-4213
• AARP Smart Drivers Beginner Course for all motorists age 50 and older is planned from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 11 and 12 in Excela Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg. Cost: $20 or $15 for AARP members. Registration: 877-771-1234 or excelahealth.org
• Healthy Cooking lecture and demonstration by Excela Health registered dietitian is planned with dinner 6 p.m. and lecture 6-8:30 p.m. Nov. 12 in Our Clubhouse, 4893 State Route 30, Greensburg. Reservations by Nov. 7 at 724-221-6182 or ourclubhouse.org.
• Bariatric surgery community meeting is planned 6 p.m. Nov. 12 in Excela Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh, St., Greensburg.
• Excela Health will offer a Wellness Check diagnostic screening in partnership with Delmont-Salem Rotary, 6:30- 9:30 a.m. Saturday in Westmoreland County Community College Murrysville Campus, 6707 Mellon Road, Export. Cost: $55 for standard package. Appointments preferred and may be scheduled from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. through Friday at 877-771-1234 or excelahealth.org/Wellness.
• Excela Health will offer a family-based grief support program known as Neighborhood Kids, meeting at Excela Latrobe Hospital in the Behavioral Health Services outpatient area 5:30-7 p.m., Mondays, Nov. 11-Dec. 3 for ages 14 to 19. Registration is required at 877-771-1234.
• Parkinson’s Disease support group meets 1-3 p.m. Nov. 12 in Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 501 Fairfield Drive, Hempfield.
• A caregiver support group presented by Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Pa is planned 10-11 a.m. every second Tuesday of the month in Mt. Pleasant Public Library, 120 S. Church St. Mt. Pleasant. Details: 412-682-9348 or [email protected]
• NAMI Peer Recovery support group meets 2:30- 4 p.m. every Tuesday in Westmoreland Casemanagement & Supports Inc., 770 E. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg. This peer-facilitated, recovery support group is for adults with mental illness or any diagnosis.
• Caregiver support group is planned 1-3 p.m. Nov. 13, hosted by the Westmoreland County Area Agency on Aging in McKenna Center for Active Adults, 971 Old Salem Road, Greensburg. Guest speaker will be a representative from Guardian Medical Monitoring who will discuss electronic medication reminder devices. Details: 724-830-1827 or 800-442-8000
Shirley Taft is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-4970 or [email protected].