Health Happenings week of Oct. 1
• American Red Cross will host a blood drive 12:30-6 p.m. Oct. 9, St. Matthew Lutheran Church, 407 Constitution Drive, Hunker. Appointments: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org; walk-ins welcome
• WCCC is partnering with APPRISE, the Pennsylvania Health Insurance Assistance Program, to sponsor a free Medicare presentation about the basics of the system. The session is planned 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesday at Latrobe campus, 130 Depot St. Registration is required at 724-925-4204.
• AARP Smart Drivers Refresher Course for all motorists age 50 and older is planned from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 9 in Excela Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg. Cost: $20 or $15 for AARP members. Registration: 877-771-1234 or excelahealth.org
• Seniors For Safe Driving is hosting a class 1-5 p.m. Oct. 14 in West Newton Senior Center, 103 E. Main St. This class is designed for drivers 55 and over. Register at 800-559-4880 or 724-283-8845 or SeniorsForSafeDriving.com
• Childbirth and beyond weekender version, covering labor and birth options for pain control, cesarean birth, postpartum, the normal newborn and breathing/relaxation techniques, is planned 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday, Excela Square at Latrobe, 100 Excela Health Drive.
These classes will meet in Excela Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg:
— Family and friends CPR, 6-9 p.m. today
— Two-part Infant Care class, 6:30-9 p.m. Oct. 2 and 9
— Breastfeeding Success class is planned 6-8:30 p.m. Thursday
• Excela Health fitness classes for the mind, body and spirit at Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg, unless otherwise noted:
— Intro to HIT, 4 p.m. Tuesdays beginning today or 3:45 p.m. Thursdays beginning Oct. 3 at Excela Square at Latrobe, 100 Excela Health Drive
— One-hour yoga class, 5:15 p.m. Thursdays beginning Oct. 3, Excela Square at Latrobe and Thursdays, Oct. 10, 17 and 24 at Excela Latrobe Hospital
— Strength and Tone, 3:30-4:15 p.m. Mondays beginning Oct. 7
— Interval Training, 4:30- 5:30 p.m. Mondays beginning Oct. 7
— Chair Fit, 10:30-11:30 a.m. Mondays beginning Oct. 7
— Core, 3:30-4:15 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Oct. 9
— Body Sculpting and Core Conditioning, 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Oct. 9
• PA medical marijuana educational seminar is planned 6- 7:30 p.m. Oct. 10 in Caldwell Memorial Library, 988 N. Chestnut St. Ext., Derry. Register for free program at 724-694-5765
• Fall lecture series — A Calm Within: Mindfulness, Meditation and Gratitude is planned with dinner at 6 p.m. and lecture 6:30-8 p.m. Oct. 15 in Our Clubhouse, 4893 E. State Route 30, Greensburg. Reservations by Oct 10 at 724-221-6182 or ourclubhouse.org.
• St James Evangelical Lutheran Church, Route 982, Youngstown along with Latrobe Lions Club will be sponsoring a flu shot immunization clinic at the church noon-2 p.m. Oct. 13. Bring your insurance card and your Giant Eagle Advantage Card and receive $5 in free groceries at Giant Eagle.
• Highmark PALS Group meets every first Monday of the month at 10 a.m. in McKenna Center for Active Adults, 971 Old Salem Road, Greensburg. The group knits and crochets lab robes to donate to nursing and personal care homes. Details: 800-988-0706
• Excela Health offers a variety of options for those dealing with grief and loss:
— Monthly group for men only, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. today, Kings Restaurant, Route 30, Hempfield, or 1-2:30 p.m. Oct. 9, Bud Murphy’s, 718 McCormick Ave., Connellsville
— Compassionate Friends, intended for those who have experienced the death of a child, 7-9 p.m. Oct. 14, Excela Square at Frick, 508 S. Church St., Mt. Pleasant
• A caregiver support group presented by Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Pa is planned 10-11 a.m. every second Tuesday of the month in Mt. Pleasant Public Library, 120 S. Church St. Mt. Pleasant. Details: 412-682-9348 or [email protected]
Shirley Taft is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-4970 or [email protected].