Health Happenings: Week of Oct. 21
• American Red Cross will host these blood drives:
— Noon-5:30 p.m. Wednesday, St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church, 300 W Main St., Ligonier
— 1-6:30 p.m. Oct. 31, Mother of Sorrows Church, 4202 Old William Penn Highway, Murrysville
Appointments: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org; walk-ins welcome
• WCCC is partnering with APPRISE, the Pennsylvania Health Insurance Assistance Program, to sponsor a free Medicare presentation about the basics of the system. Sessions planned:
— 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Oct. 24Thursday, Norwin Library, 100 Caruthers Lane, North Huntingdon
— 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Oct. 29, Westmoreland County Community College, 145 Pavilion Lane, Commissioners Hall, Youngwood campus
Registration is required at 724-925-4213.
• Excela Health and Boy Scouts of America, Westmoreland Fayette Council will continue the Explorer program at Excela hospitals 6-7:30 p.m. every third Wednesday of each month at Latrobe campus, Excela Latrobe Hospital, One Mellon Way. Register at wfbsa.org/exploring.
• Grief Without the Stigma meetings will be held 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Sage’s Army Headquarters, 216 Fourth St., Irwin. Details: sagesarmy.com
• Stroke survivors and their families/caregivers, 6- 7 p.m. today in Excela Westmoreland Hospital, 532 W. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg. Details: 877-771-1234
• NAMI Peer Recovery support group meets 2:30- 4 p.m. every Tuesday in Westmoreland Casemanagement & Supports Inc., 770 E. Pittsburgh St., Greensburg. This peer-facilitated, recovery support group is for adults with mental illness or any diagnosis.
• Family Reinforcement/Recovery Session for information and guidance for family members who need to deal with addiction in the family along with ongoing support, held by Carmen Capozzi, 6:30 p.m. Thursday in Sage’s Army Headquarters, 216 Fourth St., Irwin. Details: sagesarmy.com
Shirley Taft is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-4970 or [email protected].