Penn State to collect $733K from Jerry Sandusky’s defunct charity | TribLIVE.com
Pennsylvania

Penn State to collect $733K from Jerry Sandusky’s defunct charity

Associated Press
909830_web1_716096-df8aee5519cb4098b9354637918a0664
AP
Former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky arrives for an appeal hearing at the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte. Sandusky lost a bid for a new trial Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, but a Pennsylvania appeals court ordered him to be re-sentenced for a 45-count child molestation conviction.

HARRISBURG — Penn State will collect hundreds of thousands of dollars left over from the defunct charity for youth founded by convicted child molester Jerry Sandusky, settling claims from a threatened civil lawsuit.

The university and the state attorney general’s office both confirmed this week that an agreement was reached recently.

The university said it also will receive additional payments from entities that ensured The Second Mile, although the terms are confidential.

When Penn State took steps in 2017 to sue The Second Mile it did not spell out why it was going after it and Jack Raykovitz, who was the charity’s president when Sandusky was arrested in 2011.

Penn State President Eric Barron, in the Capitol on Wednesday, did not explain what motivated the settlement.

“Always you work through settlements,” Barron said. “That’s what we did, we worked through settlements.”

The attorney general’s office said it will file a final accounting with the Centre County Orphans Court in the next two months to document transferring $733,000 to Penn State.

A spokesman for the attorney general’s office said the deal was made between Penn State, The Second Mile and Raykovitz and noted the attorney general’s office was not part of the negotiations.

Neither Raykovitz nor lawyers for him and The Second Mile Inc. returned multiple messages seeking comment over the past two days.

It’s not clear which insurer Penn State will collect from. In March 2013, a federal judge in Harrisburg ruled that Federal Insurance Co., which had issued a policy to The Second Mile, did not have to cover Sandusky individually for damages related to child molestation.

A spokeswoman for Federal Insurance parent company Chubb declined to comment, and lawyers who represented Federal in the federal court case did not respond to messages seeking comment.

The money represents a fraction of the costs to Penn State of the Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal, including more than $100 million to settle with those who said they were abused by Sandusky, along with other legal claims, a federal fine, litigation costs and related expenses.

Sandusky founded The Second Mile in 1977 to help at-risk youth, and its board included many prominent business, political and civic leaders. Prosecutors argued Sandusky used the charity as a way to find children he would later abuse, and victims testified at his 2011 trial about their involvement with The Second Mile.

A judge in March 2016 allowed The Second Mile to dissolve after its lawyers said the scandal had dried up fundraising and made it impossible to continue.

At its peak, the charity said it was serving some 100,000 children annually through camps and fundraisers. It maintained a headquarters on a busy commercial street in State College and operated in other parts of Pennsylvania.

Sandusky was retired as Penn State’s longtime defensive football coach when he was charged with sexual abuse of children, and was convicted of 45 counts in 2012.

He is serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence and last month was granted a new sentencing by an appeals court that said mandatory minimum sentences had been misapplied in his case.

Categories: News | Pennsylvania | Top Stories
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.