Fire causes major damage to Latrobe home
Two Latrobe residents were displaced and their cat and two dogs perished when an electrical fire broke out Thursday at their Anderson Street home.
The accidental fire started in a front bedroom when no one was home, Latrobe fire Chief John Brasile said.
“One of the pets appeared to have gotten loose and knocked an oscillating fan over onto a mattress,” he said. “It overheated, and that's what caught the mattress.”
A fire was reported just before 11 p.m., Brasile said. Firefighters from Latrobe, Lloydsville, Youngstown and Whitney-Hostetter responded.
The fire had been burning for some time before Amanda Huffman got home from work late that evening and discovered smoke coming from the single-story, wood frame house, Brasile said.
“We arrived and found some smoke coming out of the eaves, and I could see some flames in the front window,” he said.
Brasile estimated the damage at $50,000 or more.
The most significant damage was in the bedroom, where floor joists burned through to the basement, and in a bathroom, he said. Other areas were damaged by heat and smoke.
No firefighters were injured. The pets died from smoke inhalation, Brasile said.