Walker: West Overton museum hosting day trip to Mt. Vernon
West Overton Village & Museums will host a day trip May 20 to Mt. Vernon, a landmark and enduring tribute to George Washington. Visitors can tour the distillery and gristmill, 2.7 miles from the mansion and gardens, and see how Washington produced whiskey. The day begins at West Overton with registration at 5:30 a.m., coffee and donuts provided, depart with arrival at Mt. Vernon about 11:30 a.m. Cost is $95 for museums' members and $100 for non-members. Reservations and payment must be received by May 1. To register, call West Overton at 724-887-7910 or visit westovertonvillage.org. To register by mail, send a check made payable to West Overton Village & Museums and information to West Overton Village & Museums, 109 W. Overton Road, Scottdale, PA 15683.
• Kid's Stitch class is geared for anyone 8 to 80 who wants to learn to crochet or knit. The group will make blankets, scarves and hats for children in need. The group will meet from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday in Scottdale Public Library on Spring Street. For more information, call Caroline Bailey at 724-887-0952.
• Westmoreland County Community College community choir, symphonic band, orchestras will perform spring concerts in the Science Hall Theater, 145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood. “Spring Time Dance Music” featuring the chamber and full orchestra, will be Friday. “Music, Sing and Play On,” featuring the choir and symphonic band, will be Saturday. The concerts will be at 7:30 p.m. and will perform under the direction of Dr. Roderick Todd Booker, the college assistant professor of music. Tickets cost $5 for general admission and are available for purchase from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays in Science Hall on campus. For more information, call 724-925-5976.
• Scottdale resident Tom Bailey promotes and markets local products with his online PennMade business. A chance to see and hear the products will take place Saturday in the Overholt Room of West Overton Village & Museums. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m., with the concert scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Abacus Jones, a local trio, will be performing two sets. Tickets cost $8 if bought in advance; $10 at the door. Tickets are available at Collections by Marty, 143 Pittsburgh St., and Fox's Pizza 145 Pittsburgh St., Scottdale.
• Jacobs Creek Watershed Association will hold its fourth annual Earth Day event, titled “Wings Over Our Watershed,” at 1 p.m. Saturday at Willow Park, Center Avenue, Mt. Pleasant. There will be activities for all ages, including painting bat boxes and birdhouses, attaching hardware, digging postholes and erecting the boxes above the creek bed in the park. For more information, visit jacobscreekwatershed.org. If you plan to attend, register by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-887-8220.
• The Fort Allen Antique Farm Equipment Association Inc., a nonprofit organization, will hold its 2015 Hammer In and Plow Days at the association's grounds at 911 Porter Ave., Scottdale (beside West Overton Museums). Opening ceremonies will be at 9 a.m. Saturday. Event will close about 5 p.m. There will be plowing demonstrations, blacksmithing, horseshoe pitching, antique tractors and engines as well as a model train display. There will be a church service held the morning of Sunday (no time was given), as well as a tractor pull in the afternoon.
• Center Bethel Church of God, Ruffsdale-Alverton Road, Alverton, is planing a flea market/bake sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday with a two-bag sale at 1:30 p.m. For details, call 724-887-8259. Lunch will be available.
• Scottdale Choral Society will present a pops concert 7 p.m. Saturday in Greenwood United Methodist Church, Route 119 south, (South Ninth and West Green streets). Donation of $5 will go toward the scholarship fund. The society will host a pops concert at 7 p.m. April 26 in Visitation Social Hall, 740 W. Walnut St., Mt. Pleasant. A $5 donation will benefit the scholarship fund.
• Trinity United Methodist Church will serve a free community breakfast from 7:30 to 10 a.m. Saturday. The church is at Mulberry and Hickory streets, Scottdale. This will be the last breakfast until August.
• The Laurel Highlands Six Shooter Amateur Radio Group is sponsoring a rabies clinic from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Busy Beaver in Mt. Pleasant. Rabies vaccine cost $10, and distemper vaccine cost $15 for cats and dogs. Vaccine will be administered by veterinarian Dr. Laure Joseph. Please have dogs on a leash.
• The Connellsville-Scottdale Salvation Army Board will meet at noon Tuesday in Bud Murphy's Restaurant, Connellsville. Call the director Mary McKnight at 724-628-2010.
• A bereavement support group will meet from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Christ United Methodist Church, 201 Market St., Scottdale. For details, call the church office at 724-887-6724 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or leave a message. A certified grief counselor will facilitate.
• The Blackburn Center Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, Greensburg, welcomes donations of the items for its shelter. To download a list of items needed, visit blackburncenter.org. To arrange for a donation drop-off, call 724-837-9540.
• Scottdale Concert Band will be practicing for the season from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Tuesday in Christ United Methodist Church, Scottdale. Upcoming concert locations include Redstone Highlands, Idlewild Park and Soak Zone, Ligonier, Woodcrest Senior-Living Community and Scottdale. New members are welcome. For details, call 724-628-1988 or 724-887-4344.
• The Scottdale Community Pool will conduct classes for those interested in becoming lifeguards starting May 1. At the conclusion of the course and completion of a written examination, successful candidates will receive American Red Cross certification as a lifeguard plus CPR/AED certification; both will be valid for two years. All participants must be at least 15 years of age. Participants must be present for all classes. There is a fee. To register, call the pool at 724-887-0667 or email email@example.com.
• The 2015 Westmoreland County Senior Games will take place May 5 to 15 at Mammoth Park, 254 County Park Road, Mt. Pleasant, and several central Westmoreland locations. Any person 50 or older is eligible to participate in any of the 32 events. Westmoreland County residency is not required to participate in the events. Registration for the Senior Games costs $10. Registered participants will receive a Senior Games T-shirt and a free picnic lunch will be provided for athletes at Mammoth Park on May 7 and 11. To receive a registration booklet, call the Westmoreland County Bureau of Parks and Recreation at 724-830-3950 or visiting co.westmoreland.pa.us/parks.
• The Westmoreland County Air Show at Arnold Palmer Regional Airport, featuring the Navy Blue Angels, sports a new name and a sponsor this year. Tickets go on sale Saturday. The air show will be June 20 and 21. Advance tickets for adults cost $16; tickets at the gate cost $18. The show is dubbed the Shop ‘n Save Westmoreland County Air Show, presented by Xcoal Energy & Resources in Latrobe. The grocery chain's Facebook page will have chances to win free air show tickets beginning in May. For more information, visit shopnsavefood.com.
• Information sessions for caregivers are scheduled at Christ United Methodist Church, 201 Market St., Scottdale. Four sessions will be from 2 to 4:30 p.m. April 28 and May 5, 12 and 19. Call the church office to register at 724-887-6724 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• St. Joseph Ladies Society is sponsoring a Mother's Day pie sale, with pickup from 3 to 6 p.m. May 6. The pies are fresh frozen, ready to bake. Flavors are apple, caramel apple walnut, dutch apple, blackberry, coconut cream, chocolate cream, peach and very berry. Cost is $9 each and must be pre-ordered. Pickup will be in St. Joseph School Hall, Everson. For details, call 724-887-3948.
Readers, enjoy the spring, even the rainy days and the sight of flowers budding and the listen to the birds singing.
Patricia Walker is a Scottdale resident.