Scottdale chamber's Community Yard Sale to be held Saturday
Scottdale Area Chamber of Commerce's 14th annual Scottdale Community Yard Sale will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday in various areas of Scottdale. For more information, call the chamber at 724-887-3611. Address lists and maps will be available at noon today at Collections by Marty, Fox's Pizza Den, Standard Bank, Scottdale Library, Scottdale Borough Building and The Stepping Stone.
• Enjoy the music of Sammy Brooks and his band at the Scottdale Gazebo from 7-9 p.m. Friday.
• Today is the start of the Fayette County Fair and this is the 61st year of its existence. The fair is held at the Fayette County Fairgrounds, 132 Pechin Road, Dunbar Township. Fair continues until Aug. 8. For information on scheduled events and tickets, visit www.fayettefair.com or call 724-628-3360.
• Also today, Lynns Dairy Queens are holding their annual Miracle Treat Day when $1 per every Blizzard sold is donated to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. Area Dairy Queens raise money for Children's Miracle Network hospitals all year long, but on Miracle Treat Day it is made an event. This is taking place at all Lynn Dairy Queens Inc. locations.
• Tuesday is the day of the Scottdale Senior Citizens organization meeting to be held at the Scottdale Firemens Club, 405 Porter Ave. Meeting starts at 11 a.m. If you plan to attend, call Pat Etling at 628-8509.
• AARP offers a Driver Safety Program to all motorists age 50 and older. For first-time course attendees, an eight-hour AARP Driver Safety Course will be presented from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in conference rooms B and C, First Floor, Excela Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Upon successful completion of the course, motorists may be eligible for a discount on their vehicle insurance. Course fee is $15 for AARP members or $20 for nonmembers. Checks may be made payable to AARP and presented at the class. To register, visit www.excelahealth.org or call toll free at 877-771-1234.
• The Hearts and Hands Quilt Guild will meet at 7 p.m. Aug. 6 at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 600 Mulberry St., Scottdale. New members are welcome. This organization designed beautiful quilts for Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action to raffle as a fundraiser. For more information about the guild, call 724-887-6526.
• Aug. 7 will be the last day of the Southmoreland School District summer lunch program. I hope you took advantage of the opportunity for a good meal and fellowship with others this summer.
• YMCA Community Family Fun Night, a free family event sponsored by the Rotary Club of Scottdale, will be held Aug. 7 with the fun beginning at 6 p.m. Activities include water slide, inflatable jumpers, snacks and a family movie scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Bring your blankets and get ready for some family fun. Registration is required by calling the YMCA at 724-547-9622. All activities will be held outdoors, weather permitting, and indoors if inclement weather.
• A Prayer Shawl Ministry is ongoing and held from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays in the Regional Family YMCA, Mt. Pleasant. For more information about this, call the YMCA at 724-547-9622.
• The Scottdale Fall Festival is still in need of volunteers to fill several positions on its fall festival committee. Interested parties should call 724-672-7434 or 724-787-0354 for more information.
• Don't forget, Westmoreland County residents age 65 and older can obtain a free bus pass by calling 800-242-2706 for a senior transportation application. For more information, call 724-830-4444 or 800-442-8000 or visit www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/aging.
• St. Joseph Church, corner of Painter and Vance streets, Everson will hold its parish festival Aug. 8 and 9. Festival hours are 5-10 p.m. Aug. 8 with a Polish platter being served from 4-7 p.m. Lil'l John and the ATM Polka Band will be performing in the evening. Aug. 9 will begin with a 10:30 a.m. polka Mass, a turkey dinner will be served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and the booths will be open from 2-10 p.m. The Vibrations Band will perform in the evening. There will be gift galleries, instant bingo, games, raffles and plenty of good food. Grand prize drawings will be held at 10 p.m. For more information, call 724-887-3718.
• Actors and Artists of Fayette County will present “Spamalot” at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 13-15 and 2:30 p.m. Aug. 16 at the Geyer Performing Arts Center, 111 Pittsburgh St., Scottdale. This summer musical is lovingly ripped off from the film “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” — with singing. Tickets are $15. For tickets or more information, visit www.geyerpac.com or call 724-887-0887.
• Jacobs Creek Watershed Association's 14th Riffle Run scramble will be held Sept. 11 at Donegal Highlands Golf Course. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m., followed by golf at 8:30 a.m. The cost is $90 per golfer and includes golf, cart, prizes, lunch, dinner and raffle. All proceeds benefit the Jacobs Creek Watershed Association's high school scholarship program and the watershed environmental education outreach. For more information or to register, call 724-887-8220 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit jacobscreekwatershed.org.
• Scottdale Public Library received a $2,200 grant through the Community Foundation of Westmoreland County's Michael J. Rusinko Kakos Fund to offer a program to help with the mind and the body. That is the goal of the Scottdale Walk & Read program, which is geared toward promoting a more active lifestyle for families. After receiving a free library card, participants can check out a Playaway device, which is a recorded book, and begin walking while enjoying a book. Along with the Playaway device, participants also will get a pedometer that will count their steps as they walk. Once the participants reach 35,000 steps, they receive a Scottdale Walk & Read T-shirt. There are books for children, as well as adults, in the Playaway collection. For more information, visit the library or call 724-887-6140.
• Scottdale is proud of Petty Officer 3rd Class Nathaniel Bryner, a sonar technician aboard USS North Carolina, one of the Virginia-class submarines based at the Navy base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. He is a 2012 Southmoreland High School graduate and a Scottdale native.
• Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action organization is looking for volunteers to help area senior citizens. Any type of help would be appreciated. The group pairs volunteers with local senior citizens who need a little help in areas that range from rides to and from appointments, light housework or just companionship. For more information, call 724-542-4117 or email email@example.com.
• Also, you have one more day to purchase a $600 cash ticket sponsored by Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action, a program of the United Way of Westmoreland County which provides volunteer services to the community's senior residents. The cost is $2 for two chances to win on Friday's evening drawing of the Pennsylvania Daily Lottery. For tickets, call 724-542-4117 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck.
Readers, get out and enjoy all the events happening this week; summer is in full swing.
Patricia Walker is a Scottdale resident.