ShareThis Page
California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse | TribLIVE.com
U.S./World

California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse

Associated Press
792619_web1_792619-a4bde55b900143d3808c7084c05f7e37
David Turpin, second from right, and wife, Louise, far left, sit in a courtroom with their attorneys, Allison Lowe, second from left, and David Macher Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in Riverside, Calif. The California couple who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them have pleaded guilty to torture and other abuse. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, Pool)
792619_web1_792619-e0b0df7a42b94410b3c8b416d2d18a4d
Louise Turpin sits in a courtroom Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in Riverside, Calif. Turpin and her husband, David, who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them pleaded guilty Friday to torture and other abuse. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, Pool)
792619_web1_792619-f1c84258e6c74e4c8a60df9a59127526
David Turpin sits during a courtroom hearing, Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in Riverside, Calif. Turpin and his wife, Louise, who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them pleaded guilty on Friday to torture and other abuse. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, Pool)

RIVERSIDE, Calif. — As prosecutors brought charges of cruelty and torture against a California couple who had shackled and starved their children for years, they had two goals in mind: Punish the perpetrators and ensure they could never victimize those 13 children in any way again.

On Friday they appeared to prevail on both counts as David and Louise Turpin pleaded guilty to 14 criminal charges in a deal prosecutors say will likely keep them in prison for the rest of their lives. At the same time, it will keep their children from the trauma of having to testify at a criminal trial that until Friday’s guilty pleas was scheduled to begin in September.

“Part of our job is to seek and get justice. But it’s also to protect the victims from further harm,” Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said after the couple entered their pleas.

Louise Turpin’s face reddened, and she wept during the hearing as her husband remained stoic.

The couple, scheduled to be sentenced to life in prison on April 13, won’t be eligible for parole for at least 25 years, meaning David Turpin, 57, and his 50-year-old wife are likely to die there.

“The defendants ruined lives, so I think it’s just and fair that the sentence be equivalent to first-degree murder,” Hestrin said.

The couple was arrested in January 2018 after their 17-year-old daughter jumped out a window of their home and called 911. She pleaded with a dispatcher for help, saying two of her younger sisters and a brother were chained to a bed.

“They will wake up at night and they will start crying and they wanted me to call somebody,” she said in a high-pitched voice. “I wanted to call y’all so y’all can help my sisters.”

Police who arrived at the address in a middle-class section of the city of Perris, about 60 miles southeast of Los Angeles, found a house of horrors.

The children, ages 2 to 29 at the time, were severely underweight and hadn’t bathed for months. They described being beaten, starved and put in cages.

Two girls had been hastily released from their chains, but a 22-year-old son remained shackled. The brother told police he and his siblings had been suspected of stealing food and being disrespectful.

The family led a nocturnal existence, which kept them largely out of sight from neighbors.

David Turpin had worked as an engineer for Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman. Louise Turpin was listed as a housewife in a 2011 bankruptcy filing.

Although the parents filed reports with the state that they home-schooled their children, the oldest child only completed the third grade. Some children suffered from severe malnutrition, stunted growth and muscle wasting, including an 11-year-old girl who had arms the size of an infant.

Children were deprived of food and things other kids take for granted, such as toys and games. They were allowed to do little except write in journals, authorities said.

The kids were rarely allowed outside, but they did go out on Halloween and traveled as a family to Disneyland and Las Vegas. They spent most of their time locked in their rooms except for limited meals or using the bathroom.

All the children were hospitalized immediately after they were discovered and have not spoken publicly. Riverside County authorities obtained temporary conservatorship over the adults.

The social services agency tasked with overseeing the younger children declined to comment on their cases.

The seven adult children are all living together, attending school and getting healthy while leading lives similar to their peers, said Jack Osborn, an attorney who represents them. They value their privacy, he said.

“They are relieved they can now move forward with their lives and not have the specter of a trial hanging over their heads and all the stress that would have caused,” Osborn said.

The guilty pleas could help with the challenges the children face, especially because many abuse survivors struggle with feelings of self-doubt, said Jessica Borelli, a clinical psychologist and professor at University of California, Irvine.

“It is a pretty clear affirmation of how they were mistreated,” Borelli said. “If there is any part of them that needs validation that how they were treated was wrong and was abuse, this is it.”

Although the guilty pleas were important to spare the children from testifying, they will be allowed to speak at the sentencing if they choose, said Hestrin, who was impressed with their resiliency.

“I was very taken by their optimism, by their hope for the future,” Hestrin said. “They have a zest for life and huge smiles and I am optimistic for them and I think that’s how they feel about their future.”

Categories: News | World
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.