Delay in grand jury action in death of twins left in car | TribLIVE.com
U.S./World

Delay in grand jury action in death of twins left in car

Associated Press
1488776_web1_1488776-505d66da2da14699ba6de6155014f2e9
AP
Juan Rodriguez, holding his son Tristan, leaves Bronx Criminal Court with his wife Marissa after a hearing, Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019 in New York. Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and other charges in the deaths of their 1-year-old twins left in a car on Friday while he put in a day at work. Prosecutors say Rodriguez told police he thought he had dropped the twins off at daycare.
1488776_web1_1488776-a22fd7db94a04f169fb015280d2dd94c
AP
Juan Rodriguez, holding his son Tristan, leaves Bronx Criminal Court with his wife Marissa after a hearing, Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019 in New York. Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and other charges in the deaths of their 1-year-old twins left in a car on Friday while he put in a day at work. Prosecutors say Rodriguez told police he thought he had dropped the twins off at day care.
1488776_web1_1488776-b6f05880331b493bb02a4b51771c447d
AP
Juan Rodriguez, holding his son Tristan, leaves Bronx Criminal Court with his wife Marissa after a hearing, Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019 in New York. Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and other charges in the deaths of their 1-year-old twins left in a car on Friday while he put in a day at work. Prosecutors say Rodriguez told police he thought he had dropped the twins off at day care.
1488776_web1_1488776-eca30c9f2370481b9c53dd19e4372c5d
AP
Juan Rodriguez, holding his son Tristan, leaves Bronx Criminal Court with his wife Marissa after a hearing, Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019 in New York. Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and other charges in the deaths of their 1-year-old twins left in a car on Friday while he put in a day at work. Prosecutors say Rodriguez told police he thought he had dropped the twins off at day care.
1488776_web1_1488776-2970f35aa41a4273b58af64728bcaafd
AP
Juan Rodriguez, holding his son Tristan, leaves Bronx Criminal Court with his wife Marissa after a hearing, Thursday, Aug. 1, 2019 in New York. Rodriguez has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and other charges in the deaths of their 1-year-old twins left in a car on Friday while he put in a day at work. Prosecutors say Rodriguez told police he thought he had dropped the twins off at day care.

NEW YORK — Prosecutors need more time to investigate the heatstroke deaths of twin 1-year-olds left in a parked car before deciding whether to proceed with charges against the children’s father, a New York City judge was told on Thursday.

An assistant Bronx district attorney said at a court hearing that there had been no grand jury action so far against the victims’ father, Juan Rodriguez. Another hearing was set for Aug. 27, when Rodriguez could learn whether he will be prosecuted for what his lawyer calls a tragic mistake.

Rodriguez, 39, was arrested on charges of manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and endangering the welfare of a child last week after he discovered the bodies of his daughter Luna and son Phoenix still strapped into their car seats in a vehicle after working an eight-hour shift in the Bronx.

Court papers say the distraught father told police: “I blanked out. My babies are dead. I killed my babies.”

Rodriguez, who’s out on $100,000 bail, didn’t speak at the hearing on Thursday. The courtroom was filled with his wife and other supporters who describe him as a devoted father who’s suffering enough.

Defense attorney Joey Jackson told reporters outside court that charges have been dropped in similar hot car deaths of unattended children around the country. He said he understands that the district attorney has to investigate what happened but that Rodriguez did not intend to kill his babies.

“Mr. Rodriguez is heart-wrenched and heartbroken,” he said.

Categories: News | World
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.