NRA’s top lobbyist Christopher Cox resigns amid chaos at the gun rights organization | TribLIVE.com
U.S./World

NRA’s top lobbyist Christopher Cox resigns amid chaos at the gun rights organization

The Washington Post
1342587_web1_AP19177652330297
AP
National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action Executive Director Christopher W. Cox speaks at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

The National Rifle Association plunged further into chaos Wednesday as its top lobbyist resigned, its television arm shut down and the organization severed all business ties with its longtime public relations firm.

Christopher Cox, who was on administrative leave, officially stepped down days after being accused in court papers of participating in an alleged extortion scheme to oust the organization’s chief executive, Wayne LaPierre. Cox has denied the allegations.

LaPierre informed the NRA staff of Cox’s resignation in an email. In it, he cited the allegations in the lawsuit as the reason Cox was placed on leave. He also thanked Cox for his years at the organization and his advocacy of Second Amendment rights.

Cox could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Cox received about $1.1 million in compensation in 2017, according to the NRA’s most recent tax filing. The organization’s second-in-command, he led its powerful political arm, which spent a record $30 million to help elect President Trump.

The resignation has sparked worry among some staffers and board members, who note that Virginia lawmakers are convening for a special session on gun control and that the Democratic presidential candidates are aggressively promoting anti-gun platforms.

Cox’s departure comes as another potent NRA force has been closed. An NRA spokesman said NRATV — which sometimes streamed dire, dystopian programming that had nothing do to with guns — no longer exists. It had long been controversial, with one segment digitally adding Ku Klux Klan hoods onto trains in the children’s show “Thomas the Tank Engine,” in a criticism of the show’s producers trying to make its characters more diverse.

Numerous members of NRA’s board were concerned that NRATV strayed too far into politics and away from Second Amendment advocacy. Its shutdown was first reported by The New York Times.

NRATV was a collaboration between the organization and its longtime advertising firm, Ackerman McQueen, which are embroiled in several lawsuits. The end of NRATV also marks the final severing of the business relationship between the two organizations, which worked closely together for decades and helped brand the NRA as a combative group that would aggressively defend Second Amendment rights.

“The NRA regrets that a longstanding, formerly productive relationship comes to an end in this fashion,” NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam wrote in a letter Tuesday to Ackerman chief executive Revan McQueen.

In a statement Wednesday, Ackerman accused the NRA of refusing to make good on millions of dollars in “delinquent payments” owed to the firm but said it was ready to break with the organization.

“For Ackerman McQueen, it is time to move on to a new chapter without the chaos that has enveloped the NRA,” the company said.

The changes come at a difficult time for the NRA. In April, LaPierre told the organization’s board of directors that its then-president, Oliver North, would release a letter detailing a “devastating” account of the organization’s finances if LaPierre did not step down. Cox is alleged to have participated in what the NRA calls that extortion attempt, according to the lawsuit filed last week against North.

North resigned, saying that the organization’s finances were in “clear crisis.”

The NRA is also facing a probe of its nonprofit status by the New York attorney general as well as a congressional investigation.

Categories: News | World
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.