Police: No evidence of shooting after Florida mall lockdown | TribLIVE.com
U.S./World

Police: No evidence of shooting after Florida mall lockdown

Associated Press
1803906_web1_1803906-252f5e2ca9194250b02ff962ab9bc5a4
Andres Leiva | Palm Beach Post
Authorities respond to Town Center at Boca Raton, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019, in Boca Raton, Fla., as the mall had been placed on lockdown following reports of shots fired.
1803906_web1_1803906-64975c672fbf4fd79895d0d9abe54fb0
Andres Leiva | Palm Beach Post
An armored police vehicle enters the Town Center at Boca Raton parking lot in front of Nordstrom, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019, in Boca Raton, Fla., as the mall had been placed on lockdown following reports of shots fired.
1803906_web1_1803906-8087797b337a49449dcdb82a62f457db
Andres Leiva | Palm Beach Post
Boca Raton Police Chief Dan Alexander addresses the media outside Town Center at Boca Raton, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019, in Boca Raton, Fla. The mall had been placed on lockdown following reports of shots fired.

BOCA RATON, Fla. — Reports of possible shots fired at an upscale Florida mall sent alarmed shoppers running and triggered a lockdown that dragged on for hours Sunday, a police chief said, adding a SWAT team’s search of the complex found no immediate evidence of any shooting.

One person was injured, apparently leaving the building, police said.

Boca Raton Police Chief Dan Alexander told a late evening news briefing that authorities found no evidence to confirm the initial report. But he said investigators were continuing to examine mall surveillance video seeking to pinpoint the source of an apparent loud noise that panicked mallgoers into an afternoon exodus from the Town Center at Boca Raton.

Soon after receiving the reports, police tweeted for those still in the mall to shelter in place. The agency subsequently tweeted that a SWAT team had entered the mall for an exhaustive search and then added no active shooter was present.

“Some noise went off. We have not recovered any shell casings, or any rounds of ammunition. We are characterizing it as a suspicious incident,” the chief said Sunday evening.

Alexander also said one person his department previously tweeted as having a possible gunshot wound had, in fact, a traumatic injury from apparently “hitting his head on the door” as he attempted to leave. The man was being treated at a nearby medical center, the chief said, declining to name the person or elaborate on his injuries.

Some people posted video on social media showing what they said were cars streaming away from the mall as armed police arrived. Other online posts showed footage of people hurrying away on foot.

Though many left the mall immediately Sunday afternoon, some were still inside hours later as they still awaited evacuation, Alexander said. He urged those still inside to remain patient while police continued an exhaustive search to “clear every single space.”

“A lot of people have been waiting patiently to get out,” he said of those who sheltered in the mall Sunday afternoon.

Asked Sunday evening how many remained in the building after nightfall, he said he didn’t have an exact number and added, “there’s not a significant number of people left” inside.

Alexander said authorities still are trying to pinpoint exactly what set off the disturbance Sunday afternoon. He said no suspects had been identified as of Sunday evening and urged anyone with information to call a public tip line.

The police chief also said federal, county and other law enforcement agencies were assisting in the investigation.

Categories: News | World
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.