Venezuelan blackout eases in some areas; opposition rallies | TribLIVE.com
U.S./World

Venezuelan blackout eases in some areas; opposition rallies

Associated Press
1449058_web1_1449058-aac58d437c7f4a5c8da3806577f9cbd3
AP
People protest a day after a massive blackout as they gather for a rally called by opposition leader and self-proclaimed interim president of Venezuela Juan Guaido, in Caracas, Venezuela, Tuesday, July 23, 2019. The lights were returning to life early Tuesday across Venezuela following a massive blackout a day earlier that crippled communications, froze the Caracas metro and snarled rush hour traffic, officials said.
1449058_web1_1449058-53c6993e1c414badb48e6566fac5ed71
AP
A woman hold a sign with a message that reads in Spanish: “Help! National blackout, darkness and death, Help!”, at a protest rally called by opposition leader and self-proclaimed interim president of Venezuela Juan Guaido, in Caracas, Venezuela, Tuesday, July 23, 2019. The lights were returning to life early Tuesday across Venezuela following a massive blackout a day earlier that crippled communications, froze the Caracas metro and snarled rush hour traffic, officials said.
1449058_web1_1449058-280f27783c774adc80c50047eb26131d
AP
Supporters of opposition leader and self-proclaimed interim president of Venezuela Juan Guaido renew their pledge as they listen to him speak at a rally in Caracas, Venezuela, Tuesday, July 23, 2019. The lights were returning to life early Tuesday across Venezuela following a massive blackout a day earlier that crippled communications, froze the Caracas metro and snarled rush hour traffic, officials said.

CARACAS, Venezuela — Venezuela’s opposition on Tuesday sought to harness anger over a massive blackout that deepened hardship nationwide, but turnout at a Caracas demonstration was relatively modest as many Venezuelans despair of an imminent solution to their plight.

Lights came back on in parts of the capital and other areas of Venezuela overnight following a nearly nine-hour outage that the government blamed on an “electromagnetic attack” against the power grid, without providing any evidence. Government opponents say years of mismanagement and corruption were to blame.

Electricity supply remained unstable in many regions. The blackout knocked out communications and the Caracas metro on Monday, forcing commuters to walk home or hustle for a spot on packed buses. The metro remained out of operation Tuesday.

The scenes in the capital were familiar, even though Caracas has been mostly spared the debilitating power cuts that persisted in other parts of the country after nationwide outages in March. The latest blackout didn’t make much difference to people with scarce power in Maracaibo, Venezuela’s second-largest city.

Maritza Arámbula, a Maracaibo resident, said she was tired of a government that makes “excuses” and an opposition continually seeking support from Venezuela’s exhausted citizens.

“We need solutions, not promises,” Arámbula said. “Not having light makes me sick.”

In Caracas, the opposition-led congress held a session in a main square to try to keep pressure on the government of President Nicolás Maduro, who has defied U.S.-led efforts to oust him. Opposition leader Juan Guaidó appeared in front of bunting in the colors of the Venezuelan flag — red, blue and yellow — and said, as he often has in the past, that the government he calls a “dictatorship” is crumbling.

“We have to win,” he said.

In addition to congress deputies, hundreds of other people attended the event, a far smaller crowd than the throngs that poured into the streets in January when Guaidó declared he was interim president and that Maduro’s 2018 re-election was a sham. Some activists said the turnout was low because public transport wasn’t available, though opposition demonstrations in Caracas have diminished in size over several months.

In January, expectations of change were high among many Venezuelans. But Maduro dug in, maintaining the support of Russia, Cuba and Venezuelan military leaders who ignored an opposition attempt to stoke a military rebellion on April 30. Now negotiations mediated by Norway are underway, worrying opposition activists who fear the government is playing for time.

Guaidó tweeted about the nationwide blackout, blaming it on the incompetence of a government that claims to espouse the socialist principles of Maduro’s late predecessor, Hugo Chávez.

“For Venezuelans, it’s not an option to get used to this tragedy,” he said.

The Venezuelan government blamed sabotage, echoing allegations that the United States was behind nearly a week of blackouts in March that were allegedly aimed at forcing out Maduro. U.S. officials have scoffed at the suggestion.

Venezuelan officials suspended school and work Tuesday for most Venezuelans because of the power failure. The Caracas metro wasn’t operating, though Energy Minister Freddy Brito said government workers were restoring power across the country.

Netblocks, a group monitoring internet activity, said network data showed most of Venezuela had been knocked offline with national connectivity at just 6% after the outages on Monday.

Venezuela was once a wealthy oil nation, but an estimated 4 million residents have emigrated, tired of shortages of electricity and water, as well as food and medicine. U.S. sanctions have added to an economic crisis that has escalated for years, according to experts.

While Venezuela’s future is unclear for many, an opposition activist wearing a Venezuelan flag around her shoulders like a cape said one thing is certain: The blackout in Caracas this week won’t be the last.

“What we went through last night will happen again,” said Adriana Caluogno, a computer programmer.

Categories: News | World
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.