ShareThis Page
Letter to the editor: Medicare for all? It’s not free | TribLIVE.com
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Medicare for all? It’s not free

Tribune-Review
| Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:00 a.m

Certain politicians have been proposing the idea of Medicare for all. Sounds great, right? What they are not telling the public is that Medicare is not free. Consider Original Medicare 2019 :

Part A: Premiums: Less than 30 quarters working (Medicare taxes paid), $437 per month; 30-39 quarters working, $240 per month; over 40 quarters working, $0 per month.

Part B: Premiums: $135 to $460 per month, depending on income.

Part D: Premiums: Depends on the insurance company selected plus $0-$78 per month, depending on income.

Medigap insurance: Parts A and B only cover 80 percent. This covers the remaining 20 percent. Depending on which of the 13 plans selected, it costs $34-$248 per month.

Parts A, B and D have deductibles, copays and/or coinsurances. There are severe lifetime penalties if one delays getting Parts B and D. There is no maximum out-of-pocket per year. For example, the deductible for Part A is $1,364 per benefit period, and there can be several benefit periods per year.

Don’t forget the 7.65 percent the feds take out of every paycheck. Part of that goes to Medicare. With Medicare for all, it will go higher.

Consider the government’s record managing Social Security (estimated bankruptcy in 2034), Medicare (estimated bankruptcy in 2026) and the VA hospitals. The government’s latest foray into health insurance, the Affordable Care Act, has resulted in enormous increases in premiums and deductibles. Medicare for all. Is it for you?

Jim Talamo

South Greensburg



TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.