Delvin Miller Adios Pace for the Orchids draws biggest field in years at Meadows Racetrack
This Saturday the largest and deepest field of 3-year old colts and gelding pacers in several years will compete at the 53rd edition of the $475,000 Delvin Miller Adios Pace for the Orchids at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino in Washington.
A field of 26 will be split into three $25,000 eliminations that are set for Saturday, with the first post at 1:05 p.m. The final $400,00 of the $475,000 will be awarded to the winner of the final the following Saturday (July 27), which has a program that is set to begin at 11:35 a.m.
The top three finishers from each elimination race will qualify for the final the following Saturday and earn the right to race for the $400,000 prize.
There are a few headliners among the 26 competitors in the Adios field.
Working Ona Mystery, who will be driven by Tim Tetrick, finished third in the finals of the Crawford Farms Meadowlands Pace and the North American Cup. The Brian Brown trained horse lost both of those races by less than two lengths combined.
Two other headliners are Brassy Hanover and Captain Victorious, who both competed in the $600,000 Hempt Final. Brassy Hanover defied 45-1 odds and placed second in the race, followed by Captain Victorious, who finished third despite starting at post 8.
Captain Victorious, who will be driven by Yannick Gingras, will have to compete against Working Ona Mystery in Elimination No. 1 race and Brassy Hanover will get the No. 4 posting in Elimination No. 3.
A few trainers have multiple horses in the race. Tony Alagna has the most with five entrants, and both Ron Burke and Ray Schnittker have three apiece. Brett Pelling and Norm Parker are two other trainers who have multiple contenders.
The lineups for the elimination races are as follows.
Elimination 1, Race 7
Horse, jockey, trainer
1. Odds On Boca Raton, Dexter Dunn, Tony Alagna
2. Workin Ona Mystery, Tim Tetrick, Brian Brown
3. Captain Victorious, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
4. Mangogh, Tim Tetrick, Bruce Saunders
5. Lone Me Some Lou, David Miller, Tom Cancelliere
6. Wild Wild Western, Mike Wilder, Norm Parker
7. Branquinho, Tyler Buter, Ray Schnittker
8. Covered Bridge, David Miller, Jessica Okusko
9. Captain Trevor, David Miller, Tony Alagna
Elimination 2, Race 8
1. Prince Of Tides, Dave Palone, Ross Croghan
2. Quatrain Blue Chip, Dave Palone, Chris Oakes
3. Reigning Deo, Andrew McCarthy, Brett Pelling
4. Latissimus Hanover, Tyler Buter, Ray Schnittker
5. US Captain, Dexter Dunn, Tony Alagna
6. Marco Beach, Dexter Dunn, Travis Alexander
7. De Los Cielos Deo, Yannick Gingras, Ron Burke
8. Volley Ball Beach, Tony Hall, Norm Parker
Elimination 3, Race 10
1. Can’t Beach That, Andrew McCarthy, Brett Pelling
2. Highlandbeachlover, Aaron Merriman, Kelly O’Donnell
3. Stag Party, Brian Sears, Casie Coleman
4. Brassy Hanover, Corey Callahan, Eddie Dennis
5. Semi Tough, Matt Kakaley, Ron Burke
6. Escapetothebeach, Corey Callahan, Tony Alagna
7. Captain Cash, Andrew McCarthy, Tony Alagna
8. Captain Malicious, Tyler Buter, Ray Schnittker
9. Southwind Ozzi, Brian Sears, Bill MacKenzie
Greg Macafee is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Greg by email at [email protected] or via Twitter .