Family tradition: Chargers’ Joey Bosa switches to familiar No. 97 | TribLIVE.com
NFL

Family tradition: Chargers’ Joey Bosa switches to familiar No. 97

Associated Press
1211511_web1_1211511-2ce2402ae0884c679f4511309e62fe40
AP
Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa tries to get past Chiefs offensive tackle Eric Fisher on Dec. 13, 2018, in Kansas City, Mo.

COSTA MESA, Calif. — Joey Bosa is hoping to return to form with the Los Angeles Chargers wearing a new, yet familiar, number.

The defensive end has switched from No. 99 to 97. Bosa wore that number at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Ohio State.

It is also a significant number for the Bosa family. John Bosa wore No. 97 for three seasons in the NFL, and Nick Bosa, Joey’s younger brother, will wear it for San Francisco after being the second overall pick in the April draft.

“I’ve been just meaning to do that for a while now. It’s just a cool tradition. I’d like to keep it going,” he said.

Bosa said he wanted to change numbers last year until the NFL informed him that it would cost $500,000 because of a large inventory of his jerseys in stock. With the Chargers making the change to their powder blue jerseys as their primary home uniform, it means Bosa doesn’t have to pay anything.

He also is hoping the new number helps bring about better health. Bosa missed the first nine games of last season because of a bruised left foot he suffered at the start of training camp. He still managed 51/2 sacks in seven regular-season games despite still dealing with pain from the injury.

Bosa said he was happy to avoid a Lisfranc-type surgery. He still is dealing with some soreness, but that hasn’t limited him physically.

“It’s not causing a limp or anything. It’s just there. It’s just something I notice,” he said. “It’s been getting better all offseason, so I could definitely see by camp or maybe even next year where it kind of starts fading away. Once you get into season, it gets pretty intense, so we’ll see.”

Bosa missed the first four weeks of the Chargers offseason program while he was training in Florida but returned to the team facility this week for the start of organized team activities. Teams can have 10 practices of limited on-field work before the mandatory minicamp in three weeks.

“It’s a good time to knock the rust off and get practicing with your hands and pass-rush,” Bosa said. “If you miss all of this and you show up in camp, you’re rusty then. You want to be rolling by that point.”

The Chargers and Bosa are hoping he can return to the level he played his first two years, when he had 23 sacks, including an NFL-record 19 in his first 20 games. Bosa led the Chargers in 2017 in tackles (54) and sacks (121/2) en route to making the Pro Bowl for the first time.

Los Angeles was ninth in the league in total defense but 22nd in sacks per pass play. Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley could see those numbers increase with a healthy Bosa.

“You can count on Joey. He’s going to come back in great shape. He looks awesome. He feels really good. To get him back on the field — just that brotherhood part where the guys are together again. I think that’s important,” Bradley said.

Categories: Sports | NFL
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.