ShareThis Page
First call: Raiders player ramps up Antonio Brown recruiting effort | TribLIVE.com
Breakfast With Benz

First call: Raiders player ramps up Antonio Brown recruiting effort

Tim Benz
781265_web1_AP_18343806971985
AP
Steelers receiver Antonio Brown tries to elude Raiders cornerback Gareon Conley during a game on Dec. 9, 2018, in Oakland, Calif.

In “First Call” Thursday, details on Josh Harrison’s new deal in Detroit. The Penguins won’t have to deal with a Flyers pest on Saturday. And the Raiders’ recruitment of Antonio Brown is underway.


Raider recruiting

The Raiders’ recruiting of Antonio Brown has begun.

We told you that the Raiders may be a leading candidate to land the Steelers’ disgruntled wide receiver in a trade. And we’ve chronicled the multiple flirtations of the 49ers toward Brown.

So Oakland’s players are trying to keep up. Raiders safety Karl Joseph put this up on his Instagram story.

Did you get all that, A.B.?

• Plenty of cap space … even though you aren’t a free agent

• Derek Carr is the quarterback you can target with a football during practice when he gets mad at you for running a bad route

• No state taxes in the great state of Las Vegas

Yes. The state … of Las Vegas.


He won’t be missed

Philadelphia professional goon … uh, I mean … Philadelphia defenseman Radko Gudas is one of the Flyers that Penguins fans love to hate.

For good reason. He’s a hack with a stick. He has now been suspended four times by the league.

The latest suspension was just handed down by the NHL Department of Player Safety Wednesday. It’s worth two games. And it’s the result of a two-handed slash/high stick of league-leading scorer Nikita Kucherov of Tampa Bay.

The Penguins should be thrilled about this. The league discipline means Gudas will have to miss the outdoor game between the clubs Saturday. Knowing how emotionally charged that contest will be given Evgeni Malkin’s stick-swinging incident in their last game, it’s best that guy is in the press box.


Reunited and it feels … OK, I suppose

If you were a Tigers fan with ideas of Manny Machado dancing through your head, you can stop dreaming — he went to San Diego.

But you get guys the Pirates didn’t want anymore.

That’s probably a dour way to look at it. Jordy Mercer is a decent defensive shortstop. He signed with Detroit in December.

Yesterday, the Tigers inked former Bucco All-Star Josh Harrison to play second base.

The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal says to look for Harrison to be the starter.

MLB Network’s Jon Heyman had some terms of the deal.

Harrison made $10 million last year. He and Mercer play host to the Pirates on April 16. They return to PNC Park on June 18.


Ever see this before?

Duke star Zion Williamson left the team’s biggest game of the year against North Carolina just 36 seconds into play.

According to head coach Mike Krzyzewski, he suffered a “mild knee sprain” on this play. Williamson slipped and blew right through his shoe.

Clearly, the Blue Devils missed Williamson. UNC thrashed the Dukies, 88-72, in Durham. Luke Maye had 30 points and 15 rebounds. Former Pitt standout Cameron Johnson had 26 points and seven rebounds.

There’s no word on when Williamson will be back. Duke next plays Syracuse on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.


Nice job

Ben Howland’s Mississippi State Bulldogs beat Georgia on Wednesday, 68-67.

They got some help from the road fans when UGA got a technical becuase of an angry patron. Someone threw a stuffed Georgia Bulldog onto the floor while Mississippi State’s Quinndary Weatherspoon was missing a free throw.

Despite coach Tom Crean getting on the public address system to lecture the home fans, Sam Wyche style, that’s still a technical.

So Witherspoon sank one of the two technical free throws with 0.5 seconds left. He missed the second on purpose. And Howland’s team won by a point.

Nice job, random fan.

Tim Benz is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Tim at [email protected] or via Twitter. All tweets could be reposted. All emails are subject to publication unless specified otherwise.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.