Fishing report: Hybrid striped bass keeping anglers busy at Lake Arthur
• Fishermen trolling Lake Arthur are seeing as many hybrid striped bass bites as they have all season, with the shallower bay areas providing the best opportunity for catches. Live bait is working well, according to anglers. Specifically, nightcrawlers and minnows are fetching solid results with the bass.
• There’s plenty of smallmouth bass action going on at Neshannock Creek, with anglers reporting plenty of success using tube jigs and rubber worms as a setup.
• At Justus Lake, fishermen are doing particularly well with smallmouth bass. Most of the catches are occurring in at least 20 feet of water, according to reports.
• Anglers at Kahle Lake are finding crappie and largemouth bass in solid numbers. For the most part, jigs appear to be the bait of choice.
• The Allegheny River in Venango County is yielding a number of catfish, including flathead, bullhead and channel. Another popular catch in the river of late is smallmouth bass, which are biting at tubes and soft plastics. A few muskellunge and northern pike catches were reported in the last week or so.
• At French Creek, fishermen are reeling in smallmouth bass and northern pike. The bass are interested in grubs and tubes, while the pike are nibbling at live bait.
• Kinzua Reservoir is harboring a variety of fish as anglers are reporting catches of panfish and walleye while using nightcrawlers as bait. According to reports, the walleye are inhabiting the mouth of Sugar Bay.
• The Kiskiminetas River is still a productive spot to visit for anglers who are looking for smallmouth bass. While the fishing in the middle of the day is slow, anglers are doing particularly well during the dawn and dusk hours.
• Plenty of bluegill are swimming in High Point Lake, with live bait such as wax worms and meal worms providing a good option for anglers that are looking for a bite.
• The smallmouth bass bite at Quemahoning Reservoir is still doing well. A handful of walleye catches are being reported, too.
• Fishermen at Quemahoning Reservoir are doing well with smallmouth bass and reporting a few walleye catches.
• At Youghiogheny River Lake, fishermen are reporting some larger sized walleye catches. Jigging with plastics or live bait is a solid approach for anglers.
Kevin Lohman is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.