Fishing report: Walleye active along Monongahela River in Washington County
• Dutch Fork Lake is seeing plenty of bluegill action of late. Live baits such as wax worms and night crawlers should entice a few bites.
• Neshannock Creek is offering up northern pike in solid numbers. Fishermen are seeing success using live bait or plastic swim baits.
• Largemouth bass are populating Bessemer Lake and are biting at nightcrawlers, according to reports. A few sunfish catches were also reported in this area over the last week or so.
• In Allegheny County, the Ohio River is producing catches of smallmouth bass and catfish. Minnows and worms are working well as bait for the bass, and the catfish are biting at chicken livers.
• The Allegheny River in Allegheny County is yielding solid numbers of bass catches to anglers who are trolling its waters. Minnows appear to be the go-to bait for anglers who are having success with the bass, according to reports.
• Oil Creek is offering up smallmouth bass to anglers in the area. The bass appear to be most interested in live bait such as minnows.
• Anglers at French Creek are calling in catches of smallmouth bass and walleye. Again, live bait is the way to go here as fishermen utilizing minnows to positive results.
• Largemouth bass is the popular catch of late at Kahle Lake. A few bluegill catches are being reported as well.
• Lake Erie is still harboring a nice population of walleye, with anglers seeing the most action in spots where the lake is about 60-70 feet deep. While the walleye are clearly the most abundant fish in the lake, fishermen are also finding the occasional steelhead or yellow perch, per reports.
• Catch rates at Upper Clarion River have decreased a bit recently, but fishermen are still keeping busy with smallmouth bass and walleye.
• Anglers are having the most luck with the walleye during the dawn and dusk hours. A couple of catfish catches were recorded in the last few weeks, too.
• Smallmouth bass and walleye are also biting at Lower Clarion River.
Kevin Lohman is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.