Leader Times Through the Years: Armstrong Central routed Norwin in debut season
Editor's note : Each Friday during the high school football season, the Leader Times will take a look back at the players, coaches and events that are part of local scholastic history.
Armstrong Central scored in each of its first nine possessions in a 61-7 rout over Norwin on Oct. 19, 1990. Chris Skultety scored four touchdowns, including a pair of 85-yard kickoff returns.
Five years ago
• Ford City earned a share of the Allegheny Conference title with a 40-0 win over Apollo-Ridge. The Sabers defense held the Vikings to 74 yards.
• Derek Durand scored four touchdowns, including a 75-yard punt return, as Freeport manhandled West Shamokin, 42-0.
10 years ago
• Apollo-Ridge kept its playoff hopes alive with a 36-19 upset over Serra Catholic. Ian Milanak scored three touchdowns to propel the Vikings.
• After missing three games with mononucleosis, Kittanning's Ryan Shepard returned to score a pair of touchdowns as the Wildcats took the measure of Deer Lakes, 35-6.
20 years ago
• Croatian foreign exchange student Srecko Kovacic booted a 22-yard field goal to open the fourth quarter, lifting Apollo-Ridge to a 3-0 victory over Deer Lakes.
• Trailing 18-0 late in the third quarter, Kittanning came back to defeat North Catholic, 19-18. A 4-yard pass from Tim Crytzer to Mark Flick and an extra point from Shawn Farster with 1:12 to go lifted the Wildcats.
25 years ago
• Leechburg got a 1-yard run by Eric Wright with 3:57 to go, handing the Blue Devils a 22-16 victory over rival Springdale.
30 years ago
• Brian Henry scored three touchdowns as Freeport remained the Alle-Kiski Valley's lone undefeated team with a 35-0 victory at Burrell.
• Jon Hockenberry scored on runs of 41 and 64 yards as Apollo-Ridge got by Richland, 14-7.
40 years ago
• Kittanning moved a step closer to a WPIAL playoff spot with a 28-0 victory over Leechburg. Bob and John Ochs scored two touchdowns each for the Wildcats.
• Ford City routed Springdale, 35-7. Tim November ran for four 4 TDs and passed for another to account for the Sabers scoring.
50 years ago
• Leechburg's John Banichar picked off two Kittanning passes, the first for a 28-yard score, as the undefeated Blue Devils blanked Kittanning, 21-0.
• Paul Girardi and Art Triveri ran for Freeport touchdowns, and the Yellowjackets remained atop the AIC with a 13-6 win over West Deer.
75 years ago
• Fritzie Grimm scored a pair of touchdowns as Apollo defeated Homer City, 19-6.
George Guido is a freelance writer.