Westmoreland high school roundup: Penn-Trafford wrestling tops rival Norwin
The Penn-Trafford wrestling earned bragging rights Wednesday night and also a boost in the standings in Class AAA, Section 1B.
The eighth-ranked Warriors won nine bouts en route to a 42-30 victory over rival Norwin to improve to 2-1 overall and in section matches.
Tony Zona (120 pounds) earned a technical fall, and Job Chishko (132) won a major decision, while Brett Ginther (106), Cam Coy (152) and John Bachar (182) all won by injury default. Josh Maglicco added a win by forfeit at heavyweight.
Kurtis Phipps (113) and Alex Simak (126) earned forfeit wins for No. 10-ranked Norwin (6-2, 1-2).
Hempfield 48, Latrobe 27 — In Class AAA, Section 1B, Kyle Burkholder (120 pounds), Jared Brean (126), Luke Kemerer (138), Colin Choby (160) and Otto Speal (195) all had pins to help Hempfield (5-2, 1-2) take down rival Latrobe (0-4, 0-3).
Joel Cawoski (132) and Joshua Delong (220) had pins for the Wildcats, who also won two bouts by forfeit.
Derry 72, Frazier 7 — Noah Wiencek had a pin at 220 pounds as Derry (10-0, 3-0) won a Class AA, Section 2B match. Frazier (0-3, 0-3) won two bouts but forfeited 11 weight classes.
Elizabeth Forward 45, Southmoreland 30 — Tyler Griffiths (132 pounds) and Jaden Datz (160) each had pins, but Southmoreland (1-2, 1-2) dropped a match in Class AA, Section 2B. The Scotties forfeited three weight classes, costing them 18 points.
Mt. Pleasant 37, Yough 33 — Damien George (106 pounds) and Alex Miscovich (138) had pins as Mt. Pleasant (5-3, 2-1) earned a win in Class AA, Section 2B. Cody Vokes' 4-0 victory at heavyweight sealed the victory. Yough (1-2, 1-2) forfeited four weight classes.
St. Joseph 74, Jeannette 46 — Olivia Sirnic scored 17 points, Dymond Crawford had 14, and Chloe Stein added 13 but Jeannette (4-4) lost a nonsection game. Alex Jones had 24 points to lead St. Joseph (6-5). Lizzy Celko had 21 and also surpassed 1,000 points for her career for the Spartans.
Women's college basketball
Pitt-Greensburg 61, Franciscan 46 — Norwin grad Jenna Cole poured in 22 points, and Kelsey Oddis added 21 as Pitt-Greensburg (4-9, 3-3) won a AMCC contest. Sylvia Stuart added 10 points and 11 rebounds for UPG.
Tuesday's late highlights
• Hempfield boys basketball fell to 0-3 in Section 3-6A after a 70-61 loss to Woodland Hills. Zak Mesich and Zach Queen each had 15 points for the Spartans (2-6).
• Jared Bach had nine points for Yough (1-9, 0-3), which dropped a 59-28 decision to Valley in a Section 1-4A boys basketball game. The Cougars trailed 29-13 at halftime.
• Anthony Johnson poured in 30 points to lead the Jeannette boys basketball team to an 80-53 victory over Springdale in Section 1-2A. The Jayhawks (3-6, 2-0) closed the game on a 20-9 run.
• In Section 3-4A girls basketball, Derry (5-3, 0-3) fell to first-place Keystone Oaks, 64-24. Cammryn Kelly had six points for the Trojans.
• Isi Palamone and Sam Hlozek each scored 11 points as Franklin Regional (6-4) won a nonsection girls basketball game against Connellsville. The Panthers opened the game with a 15-4 run.