ShareThis Page
NFL

NFL nears deal on concussion settlement

| Sunday, Feb. 8, 2015, 10:45 p.m.

PHILADELPHIA — The potential $1 billion settlement of NFL concussion claims appears very close to winning final approval from a federal judge, to the chagrin of critics who believe the plan remains murky or pays too little to struggling former players.

Hours after Tom Brady led the New England Patriots to another Super Bowl title, the judge weighing the plan to cover some 20,000 NFL retirees suggested only a few minor revisions.

“There were no deal-breakers. There were tweaks,” said lawyer Craig Mitnick, who represents more than 1,000 ex-players. He expects the lead players' lawyers and NFL to resolve Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody's concerns and revise the plan by her Friday deadline.

Brody suggested that the awards include time spent in NFL Europe and other affiliated leagues, and they cover brain-trauma deaths through the day the deal is finalized.

Missing from her proposed fixes was any mention of the broader criticisms raised at a November fairness hearing.

They include three key concerns:

• That the average payout of $190,00 for aging men struggling with Alzheimer's disease or dementia is too low

• That the plan has too many variables to estimate what families should expect, and decide to opt out or appeal

• That there are no future payouts for what many call the “signature” scourge of football concussions — CTE, or chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

“We have been screaming that CTE is the most serious ... injury that will occur to these players over time,” Chicago lawyer Thomas Demetrio said last week.

Demetrio represents the family of the late Dave Duerson, the Chicago Bears safety who was found to have CTE after his 2011 suicide.

Currently, CTE only can be diagnosed after death, and has been found in the brains of dozens of concussed ex-athletes.

However, some scientists believe there may be tests for the living within 10 years.

The settlement would pay up to $4 million to the families of those who died with CTE between 2006 and, if the deal concludes this year, 2015.

But there would be no award for future deaths involving CTE, to avoid “incentivizing” suicide. And there's no plan to include men with non-cognitive problems, such as depression, rage and other mood disorders.

The settlement could pay out $1 billion over 65 years, including interest and $112 million for potential lawyer fees, according to court filings.

All retirees would get baseline testing. And the NFL expects some 6,000 men — or 28 percent — to qualify for an award because of Alzheimer's disease or moderate dementia.

The lawsuits accuse the league of hiding studies linking concussions to neurological problems for decades.

However, the NFL has argued that, unless a settlement is reached, the cases should be heard in arbitration and not in court.

“The thing that's very disheartening, (with Brody's order coming) the day after the Super Bowl, the day after such a blatant show of extravagance, (that) so many people are going to be left out in the cold,” said Eleanor Perfetto of Annapolis, Md., whose husband, former Steeler Ralph Wenzel, had both Alzheimer's disease and CTE when he died in 2010.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me