Outdoor notices: March 24, 2019
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the Reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220.
• The Tri-County Trout Club is holding its annual Deer Creek Stream Cleanup event at Emmerling Park in Cheswick on Saturday. Participants are asked to arrive before 8 a.m. Deer Creek is TCTC’s adopted ‘home stream’ and the goal is to clean up large portions of the creek.. Free coffee and donuts will be provided in the morning, as well as free lunch in the afternoon. Contact Don Stanko at [email protected] or 724-681-7795.
• Moraine State Park is holding an Introduction to Reptiles and Amphibians of PA event from 7-8 p.m. on April 6 in the Park Region 2 conference room. Join local naturalist April Claus as she introduces you to the reptiles and amphibians of Pennsylvania. Learn how to identify frogs, toads and venomous snakes in our state. Meet and touch some of the live reptiles as well. Email [email protected] or call 724-368-8811.
• Forbes State Forest is holding its second annual public workshop on the habitat of the American Woodcock at 6 p.m. on April 11. Attendees will be shown a presentation on the recent management efforts to benefit the Woodcock before embarking on a short tour of the managed sites in hopes of catching a glimpse of the bird in its full courtship mode. Email [email protected] or call 724-259-2201.
• Forbes State Forest is offering a Geocaching Egg Hunt event at 7:30 p.m. on April 12. Geocaching is a technological scavenger hunt that uses GPS to locate hidden surprises in the forest. This program is suitable for children age 8 and above. Registration is required. Email [email protected] or call 724-259-2201.
• Venture Outdoors is organizing a Fly Fishing: Intro event from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on April 13 at Ohiopyle State Park. Learn the basics of rods, reels, line, tippets, knots and flies, and receive hands-on practice in fly fishing techniques. Loaner rods and reels will be available. PA Fishing License requirements apply for individuals ages 16 and up. Registration is required. Email [email protected] or call 412-255-0564.
• Jennnings Environmental Education Center is holding a Spring Wonder Walk from 10-11:30 a.m. on April 19. Join in for some family-friendly, free wheeling discovery along the park’s trails, led by Jennings’ staff. Email [email protected] or call 724-794-6011.
• Prince Gallitzin State Park is offering its Easter Egg Hunt from 1-3 p.m. on April 20. The annual event features thousands of hidden Easter eggs for the children’s hunt, in addition to a visit from the Easter bunny and gift baskets for a handful of lucky participants. Email [email protected] or call 814-674-1000.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at 8:30 a.m. on April 27 at Frick Park. The outing will be led by Jack and Sue Solomon. Participants will explore the park in hopes of seeing plenty of warblers. For questions, call the Solomons at 412-521-3365.
Kevin Lohman is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.