Outdoors notices: Week of Jan. 28, 2019
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the Reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220
• Ohiopyle State Park will be having its Winterfest from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Free snowshoe and cross country ski demos will be offered. Concessions will be available thanks to Friends of Ohiopyle. Sleigh rides will be available for $5 for adults and $3 for children. Call 724-329-8591 or email email@example.com.
• Moraine State Park is holding its Ground Hog Stomp at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Pleasant Valley picnic area on its South Shore. Join in for a hike beginning at Pleasant Valley, learn some animal facts and enjoy a ground hog themed craft. No ground hogs will be stomped during this celebration of the holiday rodent. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-368-8811.
• Prince Gallitzin State Park is offering Beginner Fly Tying from 6-7:30 p.m. on Feb. 8. Participants are welcome to come to the main park office conference room to learn the basics of fly tying for the purposes of fly fishing. Learn about the tools and techniques used to tie your own trout flies. All tools and material will be provided for free, and participants will be able to keep their completed fly patterns. Pre-registration is required by Friday. To register, email email@example.com or call 814-674-1000×104.
• Venture Outdoors is holding a PB&J Snowshoe Intro from 1-3 p.m. on Feb. 10 at Highland Park. Participants will begin with the basics of snowshoeing before enjoying a hike through Highland Park. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will be served afterward. Children ages 8 and up are welcome to join. The cost for this event is $12 for members and $15 for nonmembers. Snowshoe rental is included in the fee. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at Sewickley Heights Borough Park at 9 a.m. on Feb. 16. Join Bob VanNewkirk for the Great Backyard Bird Count at the park before enjoying a pot luck luncheon. Bring something to share with the group. Email VanNewkirk at email@example.com or call 412-366-1694.
• Venture Outdoors is offering a Presidents Day Walk from 10 a.m.-noon on Feb. 18 at North Park. Join in for a morning walk at the park that will cover 2-3 miles. Participants ages 50 and up can attend for free. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Forbes State Forest is holding Tree Pruning 101 from 10 a.m.-noon on Feb. 22. Join Forbes staff and learn the fundamentals of tree pruning before engaging in some hands-on practice. Dress for the weather. No prior experience is necessary. Registration is required. Call Celine Colbert at 724-238-1200.
Kevin Lohman is a freelance writer.
Kevin Lohman is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.