Outdoors notices: Week of Jan. 7, 2019
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220
• Venture Outdoors is holding an Owl Prowl from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday at Riverview Park. Join in for an evening hike while searching for great horned owls and barred owls in the park. After the hike, hot chocolate will be provided to participants. Cost will be $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Email email@example.com or call 412-255-0564.
• Ohiopyle State Park is offering a guided snowshoe hike from 10 a.m.-noon Saturday. Participants are welcome to come try snowshoeing. Meet at the visitor’s center to gear up before heading out on the trail. Pre-registration is required. Call Barbara Wallace at 724-329-0986 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission is holding two free PFBC basic boating courses Saturday and Sunday at the Pittsburgh Boat Show at Monroeville Convention Center. Each student who completes the class will receive a ticket good for free admission to the Pittsburgh Boat Show. Space is limited, and pre-registration is required. To register, email email@example.com or call 814-443-9841.
• Point State Park is hosting a squirrel appreciation walk from noon-1 p.m. on Jan. 16. Join the park naturalist for a one mile walk while learning about squirrels. Dress for the weather as this is an outdoor event. This program will be free, but space is limited so pre-registration is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding its Dead of Winter Outing II at 8 a.m. on Jan. 19 at Frick Park. Meet outing leader Mike Fialkovich at Frick Park Environmental Center lot at 8 a.m. before heading out to search for the park’s winter resident birds. Participants should monitor the club’s facebook page for cancellation because of inclement weather. Call 412-731-3581 with questions.
• Pymatuning State Park is offering a Go Girls Full Moon Hike at 8 p.m. on Jan. 21. Participants will join the park naturalist on a hike while searching for creatures of the night. This event is open to girls ages 10-15. Dress for the weather, bring a flashlight and drinking water. Reservations are required by Jan. 17. The walk will begin at the Environmental Classroom located at the Jamestown Marina. To register, contact the park office at 724-932-3142.
• Moraine State Park is holding its Ground Hog Stomp at 3 p.m. on Feb. 2 at the Pleasant Valley picnic area on its South Shore. Join in for a hike beginning at Pleasant Valley, learn some animal facts and enjoy a ground hog themed craft. No ground hogs will be stomped during this celebration of the holiday rodent. Email email@example.com or call 724-368-8811.
Kevin Lohman is a freelance writer.
Kevin Lohman is a Tribune-Review contributing writer.