Outdoors notices: March 28, 2016
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a free naturalist-led birds and more nature hike at Todd Sanctuary in Butler County starting at 9 a.m. Friday. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a four-mile hike along the Forest Lake Trail in Beaver County from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. The trail crosses four streams and climbs some hills, passing foundations of an old barn and homesteads, an old kiln and Civilian Conservation Corps remnants. Cost is $8 for members, $12 for others. Call 412-255-0564.
• Forbes State Forest in Somerset County will lead a moderate hike starting at 10 a.m. Saturday. Meet at the County Line Road parking lot. Preregister at 724-259-2201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold a basic boating class from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 23 at Beaver County Community College. All those who complete the class will be eligible to get a boating safety certificate. Cost is $10. Preregistration is required by contacting James DeGori at 724-773-6709 or email@example.com.
• The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission will hold an open house at its Linesville fish hatchery in Crawford County from 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday. Staff will show how the commission spawns walleyes for stocking. There also will be demonstrations on how to fillet, skin and cook fish, exhibits, displays, a children's casting area, an aquarium and more. It's all free. Call 814-683-44511.
• Foraging instructor Adam Haritan will lead a spring foraging workshop and hike in North Park in Allegheny County from 1-4:30 p.m. April 16. It will focus on the edible and medicinal uses of various wild plants, trees, and mushrooms of western Pennsylvania. Cost is $45. Space is limited and preregistration is required at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Venture Outdoors will host a free program aimed at introducing children to camping from 6:30-7:30 p.m. April 18 at its office in Pittsburgh. Kids will learn the basics of setting up a tent, Leave No Trace ethics and other camping essentials. A parent of guardian must be present. Call 412-255-0564.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a “woodcock stalk” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers property in Westmoreland County. It's located off Route 981 across the Oasis Restaurant at 2029 Route 981.
• Three Rivers Birding Club will lead an outing to Riding Meadow Park in Allegheny County on April 17. Meet inside the park entrance at 8 a.m.to look for spring migrants. Call Cecelia Hard at 412-781-6677.
• Venture Outdoors will host an introduction to fly fishing class from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 9 at Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will learn the basics of rods, reels, lines, tippets, knots and flies. Participants will spend time on the water fishing, too. No equipment is needed, but participants must have a fishing license. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.