Outdoors notices: Aug. 29, 2016
• Keystone State Park is offering a Butterflies of the Night event Thursday. Participants will meet at James Kell Visitor Center and will learn about moths and why the creatures are so crucial to our ecosystem. Pre-registration is required. Email Jorduvall@pa.gov or call 724-668-2566.
• The Three Rivers Birding Club will have a bird walk at 8 a.m. Friday at Sewickley Heights Borough Park. Participants will walk the park in search of birds before driving and making stops along Little Sewickley Creek. Be prepared for muddy trails. Bring water and a lunch. Warblers, flycatchers, thrushes and vireos will be the target species. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Forbes State Forest is offering a naturalist-led tree ID hike at 6 p.m. Friday. Participants will meet at the Route 31 parking lot before engaging in a 2 mile trek to identify local foliage. Registration is required. Email email@example.com or call 724-238-1200.
• Ohiopyle State Park is having a Music In The Mountains festival from noon-6 p.m. Saturday. The annual event will offer music, crafts, food and interpretative programming to those in attendance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-329-8591.
• McConnells Mill State Park is having a Salamander Safari from 4-5:30 p.m. Saturday. Participants will join a park naturalist at Moraine State Park to explore Hell Run Creek for salamanders and other critters. Dress for the weather, bring water and wear sturdy shoes. Email email@example.com or call 724-368-8091.
• Venture Outdoors is hosting a Kayaks and Coffee Morning Paddle from 8:30-11 a.m. Sunday. Pariticpants will meet at Lake Arthur for a moderately paced paddle followed by a cup of coffee and some light refreshments. Solo kayaks only. Previous paddling experience is required. Program costs $27. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Friends of Allegheny Wilderness is organizing its annual Allegheny River and Conewango Creek Clean-Up, which will begin with Conwango Creek at 9 a.m. Sep. 10. Participants will meet at Point Park in Warren for registration and shuttle to the Front Street launch site in North Warren. This is the eighth straight year the organization has the clean-up event, which will be over the course of five days. Volunteers are encouraged to clean up by canoe or on the shore. For scheduling and registration, visit alleghenyrivercleanup.com/river.html
• Moraine State Park will offer a Muddy Creek Oil Field Living History Exhibit from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 10. Participants are welcome to come and see a restored oil well in operation and learn more about the industry that helped power the region. Volunteers from 3MJC will be there to operate the engine and answer questions. The site is located beyond the Stat Parks Region 2 office building at 195 Park Road in Prospect, PA. Email3mjcparks@gmail.com or call 724-285-5618.
• The Jennings Environmental Education Center is having an Introduction to Archery course from 1-3 p.m. Sept. 18. Adults and children aged 12-plus are encouraged to join certified archery instructors in order to learn how to shoot a bow. The course will be on the prairie side of the park near the pavilion. Online registration is required. Emailjenningssp@pa.gov or call 724-794-6011.