Outdoors notices: Dec. 5, 2016
• McConnells Mill State Park is hosting a winter tree ID event from 10 a.m.-noon Thursday. The event will include a guided walk over moderate terrain and visits to a variety of trees using forestry tools and techniques. All ages welcome. Participants will meet at the Kildoo Picnic Area. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-368-8811.
• Jennings Environmental Center is offering a “step into showshoes” event beginning Saturday at 9 a.m. Guests may rent snowhoes daily when the Jennings EE Center is open and there's enough snow to cover the trails. Rentals are free, and orientation and brief instruction will be provided upon request. Snowshoes are not permitted to leave the park and must be returned by 3 p.m. Guests must provide valid drivers license. Call 724-794-6011.
• Prince Gallitzin State Park is holding a What Tracks Can Tell event from 1-2 p.m. Saturday. Participants will meet in the lower level of the Park Office before heading out to practice animal tracking. Email email@example.com or call 814-674-1000.
• Venture Outdoors is holding a trek at Raccoon Creek State Park from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Participants will spend a day in the woods on a 6- to 9-mile hike covering moderate to difficult terrain within the park. The hike is dog friendly. Program costs $12. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• The Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is offering a Birds and More Nature Walk at 9 a.m. Dec. 15 at Succop Nature Park. Participants will join a naturalist for a walk on Succop Nature Park's trails with the goals of seeing nature and wildlife. Program is free. Register online at aswp.org/events/7502
• Moraine State Park is hosting a Natural Crafts event from 10.am.-noon Dec. 15. Participants can use natural materials to make a Christmas ornament or other craft while learning about nature. Guests will meet at Pavilion 7. Email email@example.com or call 724-368-8811.
• Ohiopyle State Park is offering a learn to cross country Ski lesson from 9 a.m.-noon Dec. 17. Join staff for a quick introductory ski lesson. Equipment provided. Pre-registration is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club is organizing a Christmas bird count outing at Bushy Run at 7:30 a.m. Dec. 28. Participants will meet at the Delmont McDonald's at 7:30 a.m. before heading out on the walk at 8 a.m. Email email@example.com or call 724-593-3543.