Outdoors notices for Sept. 24, 2017
In the Twi Night Trap League postseason shoot last week, winners were crowned in nine categories. They were Ian Fleming (high overall), Jesse Madden (runner-up), Sam Redinger (high senior vet), Jim Lloyd (high junior vet), Jeannette Peairs (high lady), Michael Wascak (high junior), Ruger Supensky (high sub junior), Clayton and Matt Crise (parent and junior) and John at Jeannette Peairs (husband and wife).
HUNTER SAFETY COURSES
Note: All hunter safety courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• St. Michael Sportsman's Club, Cambria County, 6-9 p.m. Sept. 25-26. Class limit 50.
• Church of the Nazarene, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 28-29. Class limit 25.
• Beaver County Conservation District, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 30. Class limit 40.
• Midland Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 30. Class limit 40.
• Burgettstown Senior Center, Washington County, 6-9 p.m. Oct. 3-4. Class limit 70.
• Baldwin Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Oct. 7. Class limit 80.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 7. Class limit 55.
• Taylorstown Volunteer Fire Department, Washington County, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 7. Class limit 75.
• Collier Township Community Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 8. Class limit 50.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 8. Class limit 55.
• Patton Sportsmen's Club, Cambria County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 8. Class limit 25.
• Shaner Sportsmen's Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 8. Class limit 45.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club, Armstrong County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Oct. 8. Class limit 100.
• Blue Spruce Park, Indiana County, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 14. Class limit 30.
• Logan's Ferry Sportsman's Club, Allegheny County, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Oct. 14. Class limit 50.
• White Oak Rod & Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 14. Class limit 50.
• Kittanning Township Volunteer Fire Department, Armstrong County, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Oct. 15. Class limit 100.
• Monroeville Public Safety Trainity Center, Allegheny County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 15. Class limit 50.
• Marion Hill Sportsmen's Club, Beaver County, 5:30-9 p.m. Oct. 19-20. Class limit 25.
• Paris Sportsmen's Club, Washington County, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 21. Class limit 75.
• Big Knob Grange, Beaver County, 5:30-9 p.m. Oct. 26-27. Class limit 25.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 28. Class limit 55.
• Murrysville Gun Club, Westmoreland County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 29. Class limit 55.
HUNTER-TRAPPER EDUCATION COURSES
Note: All hunter-trapper education courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Moraine Sportsman's Club, Butler County, 6-9:30 p.m. Sept. 26-27.
• Marion Township Fire/Social Hall, Butler County, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Oct. 21.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center, Butler County, 6-9:30 p.m. Nov. 7-8.
• Butler City Hunting and Fishing Club, Butler County, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 18.
CABLE RESTRAINT CERTIFICATION COURSES
Note: All cable restraint certification courses require preregistration at www.pgc.state.pa.us.
• Fairbank Rod and Gun Club, Fayette County, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 15. Class limit 40.
SHOOTS ON TAP
• California Hill Gun Club holds sporting clays and five-stand shoots Sundays from 9 a.m.-noon. All are open to the public. Call 724-938-3480.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville will hold a membership shoot Oct. 1. Registration opens at 10 a.m. Shooters will get 50 free targets. Lunch is at 1 p.m. Visit www.wpscclays.org for more information.
• The first Connellsvilel High School Trap Team Sporting Clay Classic will be held Oct. 14 at Seven Springs Mountain Resort. Registration and warm-up is at 8:30 a.m. Shooting starts at 10 a.m. Cost is $125 per person, which includes lunch. Call Ken at 724-628-7677 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club is open at 6:30 p.m. Fridays, with trap shooting at 7 p.m. Food and beverages are available for purchase. Visit esc15360.com.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association has big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shaner Sportsmen's Club, 146 Stewart Lane, Irwin, has trap practice from 5-8 p.m. Fridays. It is open to the public. Call 724-872-8431 or the clubhouse at 724-446-1313.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Boulevard, North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club has CMP shoots from 9-11 a.m. the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6-9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for children ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association has trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also has an indoor archery league with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with shooting starting at 7 p.m. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, 170 Sunny Hill Road, Wexford, has trap shoots from 6-10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon-4 p.m. Sundays, skeet shoots from 6-10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club has trap shooting at 5 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public starting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-652-1075.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning has open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club has trap practice beginning at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club has trap and skeet practice from 5-8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro has trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift has an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot the second Saturday of every month. The club also has an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 on Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association has five-stand sporting clays shoots from 4 p.m. until dark Wednesdays at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association has trap shoots 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays and 6-10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club has 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6. Both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7-11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association has trap and skeet practice from 7-10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club has skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, 5-10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league and practice are 5-9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1-4 p.m. Sundays.