Outdoors notices: Dec. 18, 2017
Jennings Environmental Education Center is holding a Step Into Snowshoes event from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday. Borrowing snowshoes is free and is conditional depending on the amount of snowshoes available and amount of snow on the trails. Orientation and brief instruction will be provided upon request. To check snow conditions, call 724-794-6011.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is hosting a Birds and More Nature Walk at 9 a.m. Thursday at Succop Nature Park. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the park's trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/7906.
• Venture Outdoors is holding a Winter Solstice Hike from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday at Hartwood Acres. Join in for a 4-mile hike around Hartwood Acres on the shortest day of the year. Program costs $8 for members and $12 for nonmembers. Email email@example.com or call 412-255-0564.
• Prince Gallitzin State Park is offering a Winter Survival Science program from 1:30-2:30 p.m. on Dec. 28. Participants will meet in the lower level of the park office and will discover different strategies that bats, bears, insects and plants use to survive in the winter. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 814-674-1000.
• Ohiopyle State Park is hosting a First Day Hike from 10 a.m.-noon on Jan. 1. Participants will meet at the visitor's center before ringing in the new year with a moderate 1-2 mile hike. If necessary, snowshoes will be provided to the first 30 participants. Email email@example.com or call 724-329-8591.
• Moraine State Park is hosting a First Day Hike from 1-4 p.m. on Jan. 1. Join Butler Outdoor Club in starting the year right with a hike on the North Country Trail. Dress for the weather, wear sturdy shoes or boots and bring your own water and snacks. Participants will meet at the bike rental lot. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-368-8811.
• McConnells Mill State Park is offering a Winter Tree ID event from 1-2:30 p.m on Jan. 13. Enrich your enjoyment of nature by learning the basics of tree identification in the winter. Dress for the weather and bring a drink or snack. Participants will meet at Kildoo Pavilion. Email email@example.com or call 724-368-8811.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at 8 a.m. on Jan. 27 at Frick Park. Join Mike Fialkovich for a winter walk in the park to search for the season's resident birds. Meet at the Frick Environmental Center at 8 a.m. Call 412-731-3581.