Outdoors notices for Oct. 15, 2018
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the Reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding an outing at 8:30 a.m. Sunday at Moraine State Park. Participants will meet at the Moraine State Park day use area in the first parking lot on the right, and will then head out for a morning birding outing. After the outing, there will be a potluck picnic. Participants should bring a dish that will serve 4-6 people. Email email@example.com for more information.
• Point State Park is holding a Lantern Tour of Point State Park from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. Join park staff for a lantern-lit sunset tour of the park. Space is limited, so registration is required. Event may be weather permitting. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-565-2850.
• Keystone State Park is offering Campground trick or treating at Keystone from 4:30-6 p.m. Saturday. Trick or treaters are invited to come out in costume and trick or treat in Lakeside and Hillside campgrounds as well as the 11 modern cabins. Sign in will be available at the Kell Visitor Center beginning at 4:20 p.m. All trick or treat participants sign in at the Kell Visitor Center before 5:30 p.m. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Bringing a treat sack is strongly encouraged. Email email@example.com or call 724-668-2939.
• Forbes State Forest is offering a Howl at the Moon Hike from 9-11 p.m. Oct. 24. Howl at the moon during this moderate, two-mile hike on Laurel Mountain while learning about the history of Halloween and listening to spooky stories. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-259-2201.
• Keystone State Park is having a Family Science Night from 5-7 p.m. Oct. 26. Bring the family to the James Kell Visitor Center for self-led activities, games and crafts all centered around the theme of Amazing Autumn. Email email@example.com or call 724-668-2939.
• Venture Outdoors is holding a Halloween Tyke Hike from 10-11:30 a.m. Oct. 27 at Schenley Park. Join in with a friendly costume for this traditional hike through Schenley Park before trick or treats and Halloween crafts, weather permitting. Parents or caregivers with children, ages newborn to 5 years old are welcome. The hike will last 1-2 miles and will be friendly for strollers, slings and child-carriers. A suggested donation of $5 will help cover the costs of craft supplies and snacks. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Cook Forest State Park is holding a Cathedral by Candlelight event at 7 p.m. Oct. 31. In honor of Halloween, join park staff in this walk into the Forest Cathedral by candlelight and experience the haunting history that inhabits the giant forest. Email email@example.com or call 814-744-8407.
Kevin Lohman is a freelance writer.