Outdoors notices for Dec. 10, 2018
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania is holding an outing at 9 a.m. Wednesday at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. Join a naturalist for a free walk on the Reserve’s trails. Register online at aswp.org/events/8220.
• Deer Lakes Park is offering a Meteor Shower Hike from 7-9 p.m. Thursday. Participants will embark on a 3-4 mile hike during the peak of The Geminids meteor shower. Email email@example.com or call 412-255-0564.
• McConnells Mill State Park is offering a Winter Tree ID event from 10 a.m.-noon Saturday. Participants are welcome to come and enjoy nature by learning the basics of tree identification. Dress for the weather, and bring a drink or snack. This event will be family friendly, and participants will meet at Kildoo Pavilion. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 724-368-8811.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center is holding a Christmas is for the Birds event from 9-11 a.m. Saturday. Celebrate the 119th annual Christmas Bird Count at Jennings by sipping coffee and counting the birds at the feeders. The information collected will help scientists to better understand bird migration and population trends. Email email@example.com or call 724-794-6011.
• Venture Outdoors is organizing a Candy Cane Walk from 1-3 p.m. Saturday at South Park. This family friendly event will allow participants to search along the trail for hidden candy canes. Hot chocolate will be served afterwards. Price for members is $6 and for non-members it will be $10. Emailinfo@ventureoutdoors.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Hartwood Acres is holding a Winter Solstice Night Hike from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Dec. 21. Join in for an evening of exploration on a four-mile hike around Hartwood Acres. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-255-0564.
• Sinnemahoning State Park is offering Coffee with the Birds from 9-10 a.m. on Dec. 22. Participants will join in the Project Feeder Watch bird count, and make simple bird feeders while learning about the variety of bird seeds available and the birds that the different seeds attract. Refreshments will be provided. Email email@example.com or call 814-647-8401.
• Three Rivers Birding Club is holding its Dead of Winter Outing II at 8 a.m. Jan. 19 at Frick Park. Meet outing leader Mike Fialkovich at the Frick Park Environmental Center lot at 8 a.m. before heading out to search for the park’s winter resident birds. It is advised that participants monitor the club’s facebook page for cancellation due to inclement weather. Call 412-731-3581 with questions.
Kevin Lohman is a freelance writer.