Outdoors notices: June 2, 2013
• Butler Outdoor Club will lead an intermediate hike to the Kennerdell Tract of Clear Creek State Forest on Saturday. Meet at 9:15 a.m. at Jennings Environmental Education Center on Route 528. The hike will cover 6.4 miles and is steep and rocky in places. Visit butleroutdoorclub.org.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a free naturalist-led morning hike through Todd Nature Reserve in Sarver in Butler County from 9 to 10 a.m. June 14. Call 412-963-6100.
• Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County will have a hike along Sugar Run from 3 to 4 p.m. June 17. Meet at the Old Mitchell parking area for a walk along the trail that connects Old Mitchell to Jonathan Run. Call 724-329-0986.
• Venture Outdoors will lead a seven- to nine-mile waterfall hike through Ohiopyle State Park from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 22. Hikers will learn some history of the area along the way. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will lead a “strawberry moon” night hike from 9 to 10:30 p.m. June 22. Hikers should meet at the old main picnic area to walk and learn about fireflies and tree frogs. Bring a flashlight. Call 724-899-3611.
• Point State Park in Pittsburgh is hosting a “Light up the Water” event at sundown Friday at the Point. Boaters and paddlers are asked to congregate around the point and light their boats with whatever they can — including glowsticks, LEDs, holiday lights and more — for the opening of the Three Rivers Arts Festival.
• Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County will have an evening eco-paddle on its lake from 6 to 7:30 p.m. June 14. Pre-registration is required by calling 814-352-8649.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will have a free “Firefly Watch” training program to teach citizens how to monitor fireflies as part of a worldwide research project from 8 to 10 p.m. Friday and June 14. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will host a day of outdoor activities from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday as part of National Get Outdoors Day. Visitors to the park can try kayaking, biking, fishing, disc golf, youth archery, paddleboarding and more. All activities will take place near Lakeview Beach on the North Shore. All activities are free. Call 724-368-3612.
• Ryerson Station State Park in Greene County will have a “Camping 101” program that will focus on the basics of camping, from setting up a tent to building a fire, from 3 to 4 p.m. Sunday. It's free. Meet in the day use area. Call 724-428-4254.
• Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County will hold a program on learning to archery shoot for kids ages 9-15 from 10 a.m. to noon June 15. Certified instructors will teach basic skills. Cost is $5. Pre-registration is required by calling 724-899-3611 by June 12.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have “Fun with Feathers” and “Bird Bingo” programs for children ages 2-3 and 3 to 4 p.m., respectively, on June 14. Participants will learn about feathers and bird behaviors, then take a hike while playing a game. Call 724-357-7913.
• Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County will have a “Salamander Safari” from 4 to 5:30 p.m. June 15. Participants will explore Laurel Run for salamanders and other creatures. Wear shoes that can get wet. It's open to all ages, but space is limited to 40 people. Pre-registration is required by calling 724-357-7913.
• Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County will host the “Great Backyard Campout” June 22-23. It's meant to teach newcomers all about camping, from how to set up a tent to campfire cooking. A tent, meals and instruction are provided. Cost is $45 per family group. Pre-registration is required by calling 814-352-8649.
• Three Rivers Bird Club will lead a free outing to Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County on June 15 to see warblers, cliff swallows, tanagers and more. Meet at the Dairy Queen off the Donegal exit of the Turnpike at 7 a.m.
• Westmoreland Bird and Nature Club will lead a free outing to Walter Nature Reserve in Westmoreland County at 10 a.m. June 22. Participants will learn to “Read the Landscape.” Visit wbnc.net/#outings for directions.
• Moraine State Park in Butler County will have a fishing festival from 1 to 4 p.m. June 15. Activities will be centered around the Bear Run boat launch on the South Shore. Participants can learn about fishing gear, skills and techniques, then try their hand at fishing, without first having to buy a license. Pre-registration is required by contacting Stephanie Taylor at 724-368-8811 or email@example.com.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will have a fishing derby for all ages and a casting contest for kids ages 7-14 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 15. Prizes will be awarded at the end of the event. Call 724-668-2939.
• Venture Outdoors will lead an overnight backpacking trip through Raccoon Creek State Park in Beaver County from 10 a.m. Saturday to 2:30 p.m. Sunday. The trip will cover four to five miles on the first day, then dinner and storytelling. The hike out will cover six to seven miles. You must bring your own backpacking gear and food. Minimum age is 16. Cost is $25 for members, $33 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will have an introductory backpacking program from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 15 in South Park in Allegheny County. Participants will learn about water filtration, how to pack, cooking, safety and more. Cost is $15 for members, $20 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.