Outdoor notices: Dec. 1, 2013
• A first-place showdown is in the works in the Pittsburgh and Suburban Rifle League. Frazier-Simplex (4-0) beat Allegheny (0-4), 1478-1425, last week, while Dormont-Mt. Lebanon (4-0) beat Green Valley (2-2), 1474-1454. The two winning teams face off in their next match. Irwin Post 228 (2-2) beat a short-handed Murrysville (0-4), 1451-868. Zac Szabo of Frazier-Simplex fired a 299 to post the week's top score. Matt Lovre of Irwin Post 228 was the high junior with a 298, Nicole Benedict of Dormont-Mt. Lebanon and Morgan Duerr of Frazier-Simplex were high ladies with matching 294s and Cal Roberts of Green Valley was high senior with a 292. Fort Hand (0-6) came close to picking up its first win of the year in the Allegheny Valley Rifle League but lost 1169-1167 to Kiski (2-4). The match between Murrysville (5-0) and Butler (4-1) was postponed. Matt Summerhill of Fort Hand fired a 298 to post the week's top score. Bob King of Kiski was high senior with a 296, and Clint Klingensmith of Kiski was high junior with a 279. Tracy Spelock of Kiski was high female with a 277.
• Jeff Blood, Dale Fogg and Ted Zablocki will give a fly-tying demonstration at the next meeting of Tri-County Trout Club at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 11 at Fisher Hall in Burrell Lake Park. Blood will show how to tie a dry fly pattern said to be good for most local hatches; Fogg and Zablocki will talk about their experiences fishing around the country. Admission is free to members and kids younger than 12; all others pay $3. Refreshments will be available.
Shoots on tap
• Dunbar Sportsmen's Club will gave a ham and turkey shoot for shotguns and .22 rifles at 1 p.m. Sunday at the clubhouse. Refreshments will be available and the public is welcome.
• Strictly Stocks Traditional Archers will gave a 3-D archery shoot for recurves, longbows and selfbows Dec. 15 at East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Club, with registration from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The club is located at 268 Sportsmen's Road in Alverton. Cost is $10 for adults 17 and older, $5 for those ages 12 to 16 and free to those 11 and younger. The kitchen will be open, and there will be trading tables. Family participation is encouraged. Call 724-887-5404.
• Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 505 Mosside Blvd., North Versailles, hosts Civilian Marksmanship Program and practical pistol shoots at 9 a.m. the first Sunday of each month, archery practice at 6 p.m. Mondays, practical pistol practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, and trap practice at 6 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. Saturdays, and 1 p.m. Sundays. Call 412-824-3790.
• White Oak Rod and Gun Club has CMP shoots from 9 to 11 a.m. on the second Sunday of each month. There are indoor 3-D archery shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Thursdays. Cost is $3 for adults, $1 for kids ages 12-16 and free to those 11 and younger and 65 and older. Skeet and five-stand shoots are 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays and on sporting clays Sundays. All events are open to the public. Call 724-863-9941.
• Frazier-Simplex Rifle Club, on Jefferson Avenue in Washington, will have an open PTO shooting match Dec. 13-15. Cost is $10 per team, $15 for one gun and $25 for two guns. Shooting will be limited to 50 smallbore and 50 air rifle contestants. Contact Tom Benedict at email@example.com.
• Irwin Sportsmen's Association has action pistol shoots at 4 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month, pistol pin shoots at 5:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursdays and silhouette shoots starting at 9 a.m. on the first Saturday of each month. A ladies pistol league shoots at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month. All events are open to the public. Visit irwinsportsmen.com.
• East Huntingdon Sportsmen's Association has trap practice at 7 p.m. Mondays. Cost is $3 for a round of 25 birds. The public is welcome. The club also is having an indoor archery league, with shoots Monday nights. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with shooting starting at 7. Club membership is not required to shoot. Call Doug or Amy at 724-887-4103. The club's indoor pistol range is open at 7 p.m. Mondays or by appointment for groups.
• Millvale Sportsman's Club, at 170 Sunny Hill Road in Wexford, has trap shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays, skeet shoots from 6 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays and five-stand from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. Call 724-935-9963 or visit millvalesportsmens.com.
• South Connellsville Rod and Gun Club has trap shooting at 6 p.m. Mondays. The public is welcome.
• Ellsworth Sportsmen's Club's trap range is open at 7 p.m. Fridays for league and practice shooting. Cost is $4 per round, and the public is welcome. Food and drinks are available for purchase. Call 724-945-5275.
• The Lawrence County Sportsman's Association in Wampum opens its shotgun and .22 rifle ranges to the public Wednesdays starting at 4:30 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m Saturdays and Sunday. Call 724-562-1075.
• California Hill Gun Club holds NSCA registered shoots Sundays, with sign-ups starting at 9 a.m. Call the club at 724-938-3480 or Phil Difilippo at 724-263-5016.
• Pony Farm Sportsmen's Club in Kittanning hosts open trap nights at 6 p.m. Fridays. The public is welcome to use the lighted ranges. The full kitchen is open for all events. Visit www.ponyfarm-achfc.org.
• Sutersville Sportsmen's Club has trap practice at 6 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Tuesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-872-0989.
• Connellsville Sportsmen's Club has trap and skeet practice 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays. All shooters and the public are welcome. Instruction is available.
• Rostraver Sportsmen and Conservation Association has big bore pistol and .22 longrifle shoots from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and trap practice at 10 a.m. Thursdays and 1 p.m. Saturdays. Call 724-872-4399.
• Shannock Valley Sportsmen's Club in Yatesboro has trap practice at 6 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is invited to all events.
• Hecla's trap range is open for practice from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-423-6090 after 2 p.m.
• Fort Hand Rifle Club in North Vandergrift has an ARA-sanctioned smallbore benchrest shoot on the second Saturday of every month. The club also has an NRA-sanctioned smallbore metallic silhouette match on the second Sunday of every month. Call 724-726-9580.
• Dormont-Mt. Lebanon Sportsmen's Club has outdoor civilian marksmanship program shoots at 11 a.m. the third Sunday of every month, with sign-ups and a safety orientation beginning at 9:30; outdoor pistol, NMC and MPRL shoots at 6 p.m. Mondays; five-stand shoots are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the first and third Sundays of the month; trap shoots are 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays; there's a Tres Bandidos shoot at 6 p.m. the fifth Wednesday. Call 412-531-5043 or visit mdi.net/dml
• Roscoe Sportsmen's Association's youth trap league shoots are 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays. The adult league shoots from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Mike Hela at 724-938-3500 or the club at 724-938-9080 Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Vandergrift Sportsmen's Association has five-stand sporting clays shoots from 4 p.m. until dark Wednesdays at its club grounds on Sportsmen Drive in Washington Township. Cost is $4 per round. Call 724-478-2129.
• Youngwood Sportsmen's Association has trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays and 6 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays. The shoots are open to the public. Call Fred at 724-837-5516 or Frank at 724-834-3234.
• West Penn Sportsmen's Club in Murrysville has five-stand shoots from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays. The trap ranges are open 4:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
• East Monongahela Sportsmen's Club has 25-yard pin shoots at 6:30 p.m. Mondays; cost is $6. On Thursdays, the club runs trap shoots for $2.50 per round and 50-yard pin shoots on the pistol range for $6; both events start at 6:30 p.m. All events are open to the public. Call 412-384-4747.
• Crowfoot Rod and Gun Club in Murrysville opens its trap range to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Call 724-327-9315 or 724-327-0592.
• McDonald Sportsmen's Association hosts trap and skeet practice from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursdays. The public is welcome. Call 724-796-2271 or visit mcdonaldsportsmen.com.
• Clairton Sportsmen's Club has skeet shoots and practice from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays. The trap league, and practice is from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.