Outdoors notices: Monday, Aug. 10, 2015
• Forbes State Forest in Westmoreland County will host a free half-mile Boggling Bog hike to see the Spruce Flats Bog atop Laurel Mountain at 6 p.m. Friday. Meet at Laurel Summit State Park parking lot. Preregister at 724-238-1200 or email@example.com.
• Forbes State Forest will lead a free two-mile hike to Mt. Davis, the highest point in the state, in Somerset County at 10 a.m. Saturday. Meet at Mt. Davis picnic area parking lot. Preregister at 724-238-1200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will host a workshop on how to use GPS for hiking and geocaching from 2-4 p.m. Aug. 23 at Succop Nature Park in Butler County. Bring your own GPS or a smartphone. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Laurel Hill State Park in Somerset County will hold a Wednesdays on the Water paddle from 6-8 p.m. Wednesday. Bring your own boat or preregister to use one of the park's boats. Call 814-352-8649.
• Cook Forest State Park in Clarion County will host an interpretive canoe and kayak trip for experienced paddlers down the Clarion River, starting at 8:30 a.m., Aug. 28. The trip will cover 8 1⁄2 miles from Gravel Lick to Mill Creek. Cost is $50 per boat. Preregistration is required by Aug. 26 by calling 814-744-8407.
• Indiana County Friends of the Parks will lead a float trip down Two Lick Creek from the Waterworks Conservation Area downstream seven miles to the Water Street Bridge in Homer City starting at 9 a.m. Sept. 12. Preregistration is required, and further details will be given at that time. Call Denny at 717-645-9088.
• Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania will hold a program on wild summer edibles from 10 a.m.-noon Aug. 22 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve in Allegheny County. Participants will search meadows and woods for wild foods. Cost is $6 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Call 412-963-6100.
• Venture Outdoors will lead an outing to night fish for brown trout on the Yough River from 3:30-10:30 p.m. Aug. 19 in Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Anglers will throw dry flies for fish that feed after dark. Previous fly fishing experience required. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Venture Outdoors will host a bike fishing trip along the Yough River from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 22 in Ohiopyle State Park in Fayette County. Participants will pedal the nine miles between Ramcat and Ohiopyle to fish where there's usually little pressure. Anglers will target trout and bass, with instruction on late summer hatches and flies. Bring your own bike or rent one. Cost is $65 for members, $86 for nonmembers. Call 412-255-0564.
• Keystone State Park in Westmoreland County will host an orienteering program at 1 p.m. on Saturday. There will be instruction in basic skills and practices and time spent navigating. Meet in the field next to Pavilion No. 2. Call 724-668-2939.