Steel Mill A.M.: Steelers stats, snap counts and storylines
The Steelers pulled out a 20-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts with Chris Boswell's 33-yard field goal as time expired Sunday. The Steelers are on a short week with a Thursday night game against the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field.
Steelers 20, Colts 17
Three stats to know
1. The Colts had only one drive that lasted longer than six plays Sunday; that possession also was the lone Indianapolis drive in which it got more than two first downs.
2. The Colts managed just three plays of longer than 11 yards - of course, two of them were touchdown passes of 60-plus yards.
3. The top two running backs for Thursday's opponent, Tennessee, have faced a heavy presence of defenders stacked to stop the run. According to the NFL's statistical service, Derrick Henry (42.55 percent) and DeMarco Murray (37.61 percent) are in the top 10 of all rushers in percentage of time they are facing “eight men in the box.”
The only Steelers practice of the week is Tuesday. The team will have its usual day-before-game walkthrough Wednesday before its annual Thursday night game.
Tennessee Titans (6-3) at Steelers (7-2), 8:25 p.m. Thursday, Heinz Field
Snap counts to know
Offense - RB Le'Veon Bell (65 of 66), RB James Conner (1), TE Jesse James (45), TE Vance McDonald (30), TE Xavier Grimble (4), OL/TE Chris Hubbard (5) Defense - OLBs Bud Dupree and T.J. Watt (57 of 59), OLBs Anthony Chickillo and Arthur Moats (2), DE Stephon Tuitt (48)
Three storylines for the week
1. It's a big game. The Titans aren't the sexy name, but they are an AFC divisional leader just one game behind the Steelers. In other words, a loss Thursday drops the Steelers from the current No. 1 seed in the AFC all the way to No. 3.
2. How is Mike Mitchell? If the Steelers' free safety is unable to go on a short week after leaving Sunday's game, keep an eye on replacement Robert Golden. Or will J.J. Wilcox be part of the gameplan, too?
3. Will we see Sutton? Rookie third-round pick Cameron Sutton is eligible to come off injured reserve and be activated to the 53-man roster. (He must be done so by next week, or he's out for the season). With Haden's injury, is now the time?