ShareThis Page
Steelers

Mike Tomlin not 'seeking comfort' from NFL over officiating mistakes

Joe Rutter
| Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018, 2:39 p.m.
The Steelers’ Sean Davis dives for the Chargers’ Desmond King II as he scores on a punt return in the fourth quarter Sunday, Dec. 2, 2018 at Heinz Field.
Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review
The Steelers’ Sean Davis dives for the Chargers’ Desmond King II as he scores on a punt return in the fourth quarter Sunday, Dec. 2, 2018 at Heinz Field.

Mike Tomlin isn’t expecting an apology from the NFL for the officiating mistakes that were made Sunday night in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ 33-30 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers.

If he got one, he wouldn’t share it publicly anyway.

“I’m not outlining that,” Tomlin said Tuesday when asked whether he had heard from the NFL. “I know oftentimes you do in an effort to seek comfort, but we are not seeking comfort.”

Referee Bill Vinovich’s crew did not call an obvious false start by Chargers tackle Sam Tevi. Several Steelers players eased up on the play, and that helped Philip Rivers throw a 46-yard touchdown pass to Travis Benjamin.

The Chargers also got a 73-yard punt return for a touchdown by Desmond King even though the Steelers’ Brian Allen was blocked in the back during the return.

An email request for comment from the NFL went unreturned.

The Chargers benefited from a call earlier in the season against the Cleveland Browns, and it led to the dismissal of down judge Hugo Cruz.

“We’re going to dwell in this misery that we are in and get ready for our next opportunity,” Tomlin said. “If we have any communication with those guys regarding what happened in that stadium, it will remain between us and them.”

Joe Rutter is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Joe at jrutter@tribweb.com or via Twitter @tribjoerutter.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me